Cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry this is a bit long-winded - Since we moved into our bungalow last October (built in 1923) we have noticed cracks behind the radiators in the toilet and lounge, under the window sill - they are getting quite big about 2mm (big enough for me - there are no cracks on the outside?
These rooms are part of a flat roofed extension to the rear of our bungalow. I have noticed some cracking externally to another part of the house, which runs diagonally along the grout between about 6 bricks from fasia downwards, there are no cracks inside. Also in the lounge in the middle of an internal wall (the wall is 4m across) there is a crack from ceiling to skirting (jaggedy) which has been here since we moved in but the wall paper seems to be separating a bit more. The wall is solid not plasterboard.

Another room that has some cracking is the master bedroom which is upstairs and is mainly flat roofed, there is cracking around the coving (between the coving and the ceiling) and at the joins of the coving. Also in this room the ceiling has some big creases which are starting to crack, I can feel a small step about 2mm. Our builder had a quick look and said it could be because of the temperature changes from the flat roof above but he was a bit unsure.

Do you think this is a big problem. We had a survey carried out before we moved in and it said no ongoing sign of movement or subidence were evident. We are however in a dispute with the surveyor as they failed to mention the property had woodworm, not serious and this had now been sorted out so I don't know whether their opinion of the movment was accurate.

Please can anyone offer me some advice. I don't want to go through my insurance company at this point as we were burgled just after we moved in and had to make a claim (never done this before in my life) and would hate to have to make another claim.

Our property was inspected a month ago by a senior surveyor (due to our woordworm complaint) and I showed him the cracks and he said they were nothing to worry about but they have got bigger already.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer adn if it help I could upload som photos?, Nikki

Sponsored Links
These are most likely to be thermal cracks due to a change in heating patterns or suchlike causing a bit of contraction (drying).

Pictures would help

Does the wall plaster sound hollow when tapped?

Otherwise monitor them or fill fith a flexible caulk prior to redecorating - but they may open or close more other the coming seasons.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back