Cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have begun to notice various cracks occuring around the house and was looking for a quick 2nd opinion as to what to do, most have followed recent work:-

1] I had the porch dot and dab'd and then skimmed 18 months ago, I have now got a vertical hairline crack running top to bottom presumably at a board join?

2] All the rooms were coved as and when they had the artex re-worked on the ceiling. In a lot of place this has cracked where it joins the wall, in most rooms other than the two that I did, beginners luck maybe I dont know??

3] Bedroom ceiling had a footprint hole in it when I moved in which I replaced with a new board and then left the experts to repair and then re-artex in a new pattern. This ceiling has now cracked around but not limited to the area of repair with 3 seperate cracks about 5 feet each all in line slowly joining up.

4] 2nd bedroom had a horizontal crack in it at about 6 foot high which is the gable end. Surveyors report noted no cracks to external and advised it was a settlement crack and advised I filled and decorated. This was all good for 18 months until christmas when it now looks as though somebody has drawn along the wall with a pencil??

5] Bathroom ceiling was stipple effect and had this skimmed to smooth finish. All been good for two yars but now has a crack developing along the length of the room -about 8 foot?

Is this all normal because of the extreme weather we have had or is it more sinister? I am only worried because the house was a self-build and other parts of it are showing themselves to be a little below par.

Thanks for your help

Darren

Sponsored Links
How old is the house?

I would also suggest if you can post some pics, it will help everyone provide more accurate advice.

Sponsored Links
Mid 1970's but can't get pics cos I have lost the lead to upload onto computer

Ok.
I would suspect there is nothing to worry about.
My place is late 60s/early 70s and has lots of cracks. No walls have ever been papered since original, so it showed up everything. In fact when we first viewed it we were very shocked.
Turns out the foundations are clay, and the surveyor says this is prone to causing some small cracks - but nothing serious to worry about. All the neighbours have told us they get the same problem.
Builder was local and believed very good - did a lot in the area.

We've started tidying them up, but if they are only polyfilla-ed - do seem to come back - especially on ceilings. Hence on the really bad ones, have been taking back to blockwork and re-plastering (following the good advice on the forum ;) ). None of these have come back.

I would say externally here the brickwork is very sound. No signs of any cracks externally.
I suspect if you check this, it may give you a better indicator if there is anything more serious.

Hope it helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back