cracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, i am a keen amateur plasterer/diyer and have plastered alot of my house, i had my lounge plastered about 4 months ago by a pro , he only done one coat put the finish was very nice. he also used board finish on concrete walls?

i have noticed some hairline cracks appearing , now i have had a few hairline cracks with my plastering but i didn't expect any from a pro plasterer.

how do i make good these cracks, can i calk them and paint over???
advise needed thanks

Sponsored Links
You could use easifill/jointing compound to fill cracks and then sand down.
I have heard of people caulking them but never done it myself, much prefer to spread easifill on to them.

When you say "one coat", do you mean "one coat plaster", or one coat of plaster?. If you mean one coat of plaster, then i'm surprised to hear that a "pro" would do that, but if you're pleased with the finished result, then that's what counts,,, but it would have been even better with 2 coats.

Board finish onto concrete walls?? maybe you could could elaborate a bit on that,,, the concrete walls i mean,,, poured concrete walls? concrete block walls? Smooth concrete, rough?

The cracks that have appeared in your work and his,, tell us about them,, are they over the windows/lintels, down the corners? vertical,, horizontal? spidery? Are any of the walls plasterboard, untaped joints etc,,, sorry for asking all the questions,,,, maybe i'm just getting my own back. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the fast response guys, the plasterer done one coat of board finish plaster onto smooth concrete walls plus a boarded ceiling. The cracks seem to follow where the boards meet up. On the ceiling up stairs on the landing there is a crack that goes from the wall as you come up stairs straight through to the wall in my kids bedroom. The crack looks like it follows the same one that was there before it was plastered. I plastered the ceiling in the bedroom and made sure that I scrim taped before 2 coats of multi, the plasterer done the cieling in the landing. Hope that is clear lads. Some cracks also follow where the wall meet the ceiling in the lounge.

Where the cracks follow the board joints, i'd put a tape on them and skim over them with some "Gyproc Pro-mix lite" (ready mix joint finish),,, great stuff to work with. Put a coat over the tape, let it dry, put another one on, let it dry again, then sand it down, it has a very fine texture, and so easy to feather away at the edges, you'll never see it. Do the same with the cracks along the ceiling line, put new tapes on them too.
I don't see you having any problems with board finish, skimmed onto your smooth concrete walls either, as long as they were prepped/pva'd properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back