Cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've seen some old posts about cracks but I'm not clear on how they are repaired? My house is a 1980s property with brick external and thin hollow internal walls, I've noticed 2 different types of cracks.

1 on the external walls near the windows
20190408_220648.jpg 20190408_220708.jpg

Another on internal wall floor to ceiling
20190408_220753.jpg

Is there options to fix these without replastering?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As a decorator, faced with those types of cracks, I would rake them out slightly and then gun in some Toupret Fibacryl

http://www.toupret.co.uk/uploads/UK/ft_fibacryl_uk_a4.pdf

It is a caulk with tiny fibres in it. It shrinks back and isn't designed to be sanded, so gun it in, wipe flat with a filling knife. Let it shrink back and then fill with something like Toupret Redlite filler the next day. Sand that and then paint over it. Apply two coats of emulsion.

The RedLite is one of the light weight fillers. It is lovely to work with but isn't very hard. The dust generated by sanding is easy to hoover up and won't clog your vacuum bags (unlike the powder fillers).

As a decorator, faced with those types of cracks, I would rake them out slightly and then gun in some Toupret Fibacryl

http://www.toupret.co.uk/uploads/UK/ft_fibacryl_uk_a4.pdf

It is a caulk with tiny fibres in it. It shrinks back and isn't designed to be sanded, so gun it in, wipe flat with a filling knife. Let it shrink back and then fill with something like Toupret Redlite filler the next day. Sand that and then paint over it. Apply two coats of emulsion.

The RedLite is one of the light weight fillers. It is lovely to work with but isn't very hard. The dust generated by sanding is easy to hoover up and won't clog your vacuum bags (unlike the powder fillers).

Would that work for both types of cracks?

Sponsored Links
I'd use it for both types of cracks. The long vertical crack looks like a line in dot and dab plasterboard, provided that the boards don't bounce, I'd expect it to work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back