Crakle Glaze

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im making a shelf/box thing for my six year old to place things he's found in, pine cones etc. I want to give it an "oldie Worlde" finish I can knock it about a bit (in fact ive already taken an angle grinder to it!) but i think it would be nice if i gave it a cracked paint finish too. No i know you can buy Crackle Glazes etc but they seem a bit expensive (in a cheep skate) And i have ashed full of the usual PVA, varnish etc..anyone have a recipe?

The only one i can recollect is eggs white under a varnish and then heated over a candle, but that more for forging paintings!

Sponsored Links
Hi, there are ways to do this with more standard paints but the results tend to be pretty varied. It's a matter of getting the topcoat to dry faster than the basecoat so it needs to be just right. You can buy small bottles of the base and top coat (Polyvines a good one) for under £20 for both. other than that it's experimenting really. A bit of linseed oil added to an oil base coat left to go tacky then a top coat with a small amount of driers can work but it needs some heat. Also water based topcoat over oil could work.

maybe i should bite the bullet and buy some real crackle glaze.... even cheep skates have to buy things sometimes!

You can make up your own formulation using gum arabic or acacia gum..I cant remember im affraid but its a bit hit and miss and by the time you have ponced about trying to find some you may as well have got a pot of Polyvine.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back