crappy ring halogens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a while ago, i purchased a bumper pack of about 10 halogen 12v 20w bulbs from a shop near me. they were branded, "ring" so i thought great. they were only about £6. I fitted one the other day, and it gives a greeny/browny light off, nowhere near white. Also gave off excess colour behind the bulb. Oh, and i just switched it on to check the colour so i could describe it on here, and it blew. I fear these may be factory seconds, as another one i fitted in the same fitting a while ago gave off excess pink at the back. im gonna end up with a rainbow on my bedroom ceiling here. Are they allowed to sell these factory rejects like this without informing us?

moral of the story: beware cheap halogen bulbs!

ive got 4 left now. eeny meeny miney mo. . . . :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
a while ago, i purchased a bumper pack of about 10 halogen 12v 20w bulbs from a shop near me. they were branded, "ring" so i thought great.
What a strange reaction. Whenever I see the Ring brand I think "ugh", and put them back on the shelf...

Are they allowed to sell these factory rejects like this without informing us?
Seconds/Rejects? Or just normal Ring quality?

moral of the story: beware cheap halogen bulbs!
Moral of the story - think about what John Ruskin said, and beware anything cheap.

ban-all-sheds said:
crafty1289 said:
a while ago, i purchased a bumper pack of about 10 halogen 12v 20w bulbs from a shop near me. they were branded, "ring" so i thought great.
What a strange reaction. Whenever I see the Ring brand I think "ugh", and put them back on the shelf...

lol, i was under the obviously wrong impression that ring was a good brand. i shall remember this for next time i go shopping for bulbs . . . with 4 left, it might be next week . . .

Sponsored Links
doubt if he could, he bought a bumper pack, now only 4 left, should have taken them all back earlier

anyone heard of "the range"? new store opened here about a year and a half ago, sell practically everything, thats where i bought them from. I doubt they would accept them back now, i bought them over a year ago, and a lot of their stuff is one-off buy items that they buy by the pallet and give great deals on. Therefore they know some of it will be sub-standard quality, and so do i, i mean, 10 halogens for £6, its not exactly gonna be quality is it? I have no reciept, no proof i bought it there, and the barcode and product data has probably gone off their system, being a one-off product.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back