crazy electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my bro and his bint have moved into a rented flat, anyways she calls me yesterday, none of the sockets in the kitchen seem to work, and she thought me being a tiler knew about that sort of thing! anyways i told her to call the landlord, his response was, turn on the cooker switch, all the plugs are wired through there.

i was just wondering, obviously knowing little about that kind of thing, how illegal is that? and how safe is it?

cheers guys / gals

Sponsored Links
if the cooker switch has 2 supplies to it, then thats quite bad ....

if there is a fuse/MCB for the "Cooker" turn that off and see if the sockets work
try pulling/turning off Socket circuits and see if the sockets will turn off with the cooker fuse in still

two fuses supplying one point is not allowed

My first question is: did that work? ie turn on the cooker switch and the sockets worked?

If it did, that's very wrong, but it gives us something to work from...

IMO its not that wrong. If the cooker switch ONLY controls a ring or radial of sockets, then it is fine as long as the switch and cables are rated ok.

Then you have to ask, what controls the cooker?

Sponsored Links
no mate husband is on non rcd side of board where as wife(sensitive thing that she is )is cleary on rcd side of board!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back