Crazy paving and wet basement...

X

xeres

afternoon folks

So, here's my predicament.

Bought a lovely old cottage built in early 1800s two months ago but it has a basement with clearly lots of water ingress at multiple points throughout the two external facing falls. Off I go into diagnostic mode...

It's clearly wet, but it dries back quickly so air circulation is good. No mould despite this and it's clear it's been going on for some time given the brick mortar has yellowed and left a residue on the white painted walls - I assume this is the water absorbing through and taking any 'flavours' with it.

Front wall
Loads of shrubbery completely overgrown and a spindly old tree. Cut it all out and the debris has increased ground height up againstbthe bricks markedly higher - half a foot? Completely covering air bricks. Clearing all that out and hopefully that'll resolve one side. Had the trees checked by surveyor btw, says tree would be fine to remove.

It's worth rating at this point that the house had been let to significantly overgrow. We have a small courtyard garden and needed to spend 4 weekends ripping everything out! I had to clear out the gutters and hoppers which were back logged and allowing water down the walls and clear the ground drains which were backlogged with loss and debris. I'm sure the house is going to enjoy being able to 'breathe' once more...

Side wall
Here's where things get a little more interesting. Basically, someone has put down some crazy paving but it's all over the place with dips and undulations. Looks like a proper DIY job. Unfortunately I believe they've also taken it too high - the ground level is the height of the air bricks and will let water straight in. They've added a sand/cement runner down the length of the wall but it's cracked in places and completely blown. There is a visible gap underneath it which will no doubt allow after straight into the basement.

I do not see a DPF but I'm wondering whether I should expect to see one of a building of this age.

Question
My natural inclination is not to do some temporary fixes but to just take up all the crazy paving and start afresh. We want to do that anyhow but I'd hoped to start this at a later point. However with writer and rain around the corner, I'm inclined to take a more proactive approach and wondered whether. Fellow DIYera and trade folks are familiar with seeing my issues and would give assurance on my thoughts.

I leave he floor open to you good folks.

X

Sponsored Links
Hi, I am a builder in Brighton. Firstly, well done on resolving the first issues, gutters, down pipes etc. any blocked rainwater services will saturate the building, especially a period property such as yours, the brickwork just becomes a sponge, allowing water ingress and damp issues to internal décor and woodwork.
Regarding the DIY paving, take it up, and reduce levels, its obviously far too high. You should reinstate 150mm below any DPC.
Yours, being a period property will usually have one of, slate of poured bitumen. Look for a thicker mortar joint, its the tell tale sign of an older DPC.
As for water ingress to the basement, point any brickwork, or if it is render, do a repair. Once that is done, give it a coat of washed sand and cement, (ratio, 3-1) once dry, apply "vandex" or "hydradry" both tanking procedures, and you will not get anymore water ingress.
regards, alan. ghyllside builders.

Last edited:
HI Alan

Really appreciate your post - extremely informative and helpful, thank you.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back