Remove Crazy Paving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

We have a victorian terrace with the kitchen built on at the back. Running down the side of the kitchen there is approx 1.5x5m of crazy paving patio. It doesn't get any sun so its mossy and the crazy paving has broken up.

We're looking to neaten it up by putting some blue slate over the paving, but noticed the paving is already 1/2 a brick up the 2 brick damp course of bricks. Its an old property so we're looking to keep the rain away from the DPC as much as possible - So I think we have 3 options(?);

1. keep the crazy paving and just put the slate on top?
2. pull up the paving against the wall and sink it down with an incline to take the rain away from the wall, remove the rest and put weed stop and slate on top of the dirt?
3. remove the paving completley, put weed stop and slate on top of the dirt?

I'm hoping for some guidance on what would be best.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cheers - is this because the main thing is to keep the two brick DPC and this is the easiest way??

Sponsored Links
Wabbit poo is of course correct, however it would also be good to dig out a few inches so that you can put down a 50mm bed of drylean to lay your finish of choice on.
point in and iron the joints and you should get little problem with weeds and moss, do not be tempted to 'brush in' drylean in the joints, rather mix up a little stiff 3-1 mortar and point in and iron after.
Make sure also that the fall is suffisient to cause the rain to run off fairly quickly. 1" in 3' (1 inch in 3 ft minimum)

Ah ha, Wabbit,
I hadn't thought of that.
I took him to mean some sort of riven slate natural stone stuff slabs or some such.

Hi, All,
Well I only used to work for upmarket class clients, so naturally I'd only think of the pricy option. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back