Foundation For Crazy Paving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi first off I'm not handy at all lol, A friend of a friend offered to do some work in my garden, he's done some so far, but now he's avoiding me like the plague, I will not list all the projects still to get done, but I'll start with the one I would like to get done, and see where it goes from there.

I have a rectangle shape that is 7m long and over a meter wide approximately, I have some broken slabs different sizes/ crazy paving, I need to lay this, then bolt down a plastic keter shed on top, and I would like to know the best and probably easiest way for a complete novice to get this done, I kind of had a look on YouTube for some guidance, but now my head is nipping with all these different approaches.

1) should I lay a mortar mix let it set, then place the crazy paving peice by peice, then cement in-between, if I did this would I have to create some kind of box section to keep the mortar mix intact, and how do I keep straight edges for the crazy paving.

2) put down some kind of gravel, hire a compactor, then lay the crazy paving over the surface, then cement.

3) your ideas, bearing in mind I'm a total novice, but want to give it a go, please don't say get a guy in, tried that failed, I'm in Scotland so will get ground frost when winter kicks in.

I have enclosed a pic.

Attachments

• 20200809_155148.jpg
    20200809_155148.jpg
    715.3 KB · Views: 237
Sponsored Links
If it’s solid under foot I would mixup sharp sand and cement, 5 to 1. Mix it wet then knock the paving onto it with a rubber mallet, do a meter then use the same mix to point it up.

If it’s solid under foot I would mixup sharp sand and cement, 5 to 1. Mix it wet then knock the paving onto it with a rubber mallet, do a meter then use the same mix to point it up.

Hi that's why I was asking for some advice, it's not solid under foot I don't think because it's just soil, if you look at the pic I put up, also if you look there is no recess on the fence side, it's all just soil, so I can't dig down to create a recess, so would I have to put some brick down on the fence side to create something for the slabs to lean into some sort of base.

I have not done anything like this before, and I was looking for some advice from some guys that have been there and done it so to speak, my garden is massive and a total riot and I'm trying to do little bits piece by piece, and this is the start, as the guy helping me has scarpered lol.

I have some 3 by 2, slabs and maybe best using those instead of the broken slabs, I just kind of need a step by step guide to getting the foundation right to lay them down, Thanks.

At the side you would usually use a piece of 900x150 which is basically a 3x2 cut into 4. That would retain your crazy paving and let you scrape off the top layer of loose soil.

I’ve just done mine on soil/clay. It’s 50mm thick at the back but nearer 125mm thick at the front, I even overlapped into the grass a bit but I’m going to put a cobble edge on it so will bed that on concrete
AE6F4A25-816B-4B14-A476-C8790E14D64E.jpeg

Sponsored Links
At the side you would usually use a piece of 900x150 which is basically a 3x2 cut into 4. That would retain your crazy paving and let you scrape off the top layer of loose soil.

I’ve just done mine on soil/clay. It’s 50mm thick at the back but nearer 125mm thick at the front, I even overlapped into the grass a bit but I’m going to put a cobble edge on it so will bed that on concrete
View attachment 201600

Hi do you lay the 4 cut pieces flat or do you stand them up, Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back