Drain smell in basement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a built up of drainage smell in the basement where we us to have are old toilet drainage before, basically the old drainage is no longer in use and still has water standing, its under the bay window in the basement. I can access it by removing a few bricks from inside the basement as its under ground,

Now I was wondering what's the best way to close out the smell and completely close the old drainage? Sandbags then concrete cement? Any suggestions

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
the standing water is probably in the trap - surprising if the WC has been redundant for a while.

why not locate the manhole that this WC used to drain to - pour buckets of water down the trap opening and watch where it emerges.
when you've located the redundant inlet in a manhole then pack the inlet opening with semi-dry sand and cement - push it up.
after removing the standing water, do the same to the basement trap end.
you've now rat proofed the old drainage, and typically removed any smells from the stagnant water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back