bad smell in basement toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we've had a bad smell in our toilet in the basement which started a few weeks ago - we keep using bleach to sustain it but its not long term solution and only helps for a few hours. Does anyone have any ideas? it is a toilet smell, not sewage smell. The tank and shut off valve are behind the wall, i cannot access it

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If the toilet is squeaky clean, don't forget under the rim, then behind the toilet wall needs to be looked at, only way to check that is, I'm afraid, in through the wall.

We have a dog but she doesnt go in there. good question re whether pumped up, i will check this. The smell is coming from the bowl, when we close the lid the smell is a little better. thank you for all the tips already

If it's below pavement level, then there's a good chance it's pumped up to the level of the outside drainage.
Even if it is pumping up to clear away it may be breaching a water trap seal and allowing the odours to return.
How is the level of water in the pan after flushing? Is there a slight gap between the water surface and the top of the exit hole? Even the slightest gap will allow 'fumes' to re-enter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back