Bad smell from main bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just recently (2 months ago) moved into a new build on a development. We've started to notice a bad smell coming from the main bathroom. The smell is of sewage like when the toilet is removed and the flange is not blocked up properly. Is it possible that the toilet is not connected correctly? Again we've only noticed this smell recently.

Please note, at the minute we have the toilet removed from the ensuite bathroom as we're decorating it but the flange is blocked up correctly and no smell is coming from it. Just thought I'd mention this in the off chance that it had something to do with the smell problem?

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
The bath and wash basin may also be connected to the stack ( soil pipe) and the traps may have dried out if you havn't used them for a long time so the sewer smell cam come up them. However, the stack should be open to the air so it's unusual to get smells coming up.

You have to try to pinpoint where the smell is coming from when you first go into the bathroom, before you get used to it.

blueharvester said:
Please note, at the minute we have the toilet removed from the ensuite bathroom
Any ideas?

You now have nothing to seperate your home from the foul smelling sewer, your toilet has a trap (that`s why there is always water in it) this stops any foul gases emenating from the sewer, you have removed the trap, & are now enjoying the benefits of everyone else`s turds :cry:

Bambergaspipe said:
You now have nothing to seperate your home from the foul smelling sewer, your toilet has a trap (that`s why there is always water in it) this stops any foul gases emenating from the sewer, you have removed the trap, & are now enjoying the benefits of everyone else`s turds :cry:
But the smell isn't actually coming from the bathroom where the toilet has been removed, so how come the smell is coming from the other bathroom? I don't really understand.

Sponsored Links
But the smell isn't actually coming from the bathroom where the toilet has been removed, so how come the smell is coming from the other bathroom? I don't really understand.

If you have only just noticed it then it wasn`t there when you moved in.As far as I can gather you have removed a toilet, not a lot more advice can be given really. You need to call a plumber.

Blueharvester, you have confused everyone!! You talk about one bathroom then mention another which is disconnecetd, it's like a word puzzel or a "who done it" mystery.
Where exactly is the smell coming from - put your nose into it !

a long shot here does the bathroom that smells have carpet!!!
did the previouse owners have pets!!!!
has the carpet started to smell after the floor has got damp [after baths or showers for example]!!!!!

smells can lay dormant whilst dry then a good soaking can reactivate them
this can apply to other surfaces but carpets and soft furnishings are the worst :cry: :cry:

big-all said:
a long shot here does the bathroom that smells have carpet!!!
did the previouse owners have pets!!!!
has the carpet started to smell after the floor has got damp [after baths or showers for example]!!!!!

smells can lay dormant whilst dry then a good soaking can reactivate them
this can apply to other surfaces but carpets and soft furnishings are the worst :cry: :cry:
No sorry, I think we found out what the smell was. A new house is being built next door and we think it may be that they are working on the sewage or something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back