'Crazypaving' Effect Emulsion Finish

S

shelaghb

Can anyone help - as the heading suggested, we have a crazy paving effect on newly painted walls. I have done some research, and it would appear this has been caused as we sized new plaster with diluted paste, which I believe should only be done when paper is going on new plaster.

Is there anyway to reticfy this other than sanding it all off and starting again with a diluted emulsion. Is there a sealer that can be applied to allow us to emulsion over the top and get the correct finish.

Any advice would be appreciated.
[/b]

Sponsored Links
hi there ,,, ye size is only for papering lol theres lots diff ways to deal with it ,, u mite even find the size may flake off in bits ,, if it was me id give the walls a thin coat ov matt emulsion allow 2 dry then sand lightly ,,, then 2 be on safe side ,,get white undercoat oil baesed thin up and coat the walls ,, i no this sounds extreme ,, but will stop any probs after u go 2 all the expence ov painting then finding u have a prob ,,, hope this helps

gus - what's with all the double and triple commas? Combined with the textspeak abbreviations (didn''t think anyone did that any more!), they make your posts very hard to follow.

shelagh - I would try 2 coats of Zinsser Gardz on top of what's there now, rather than sanding it all off, which would take ages. It's a really effective sealant and once dry, can be overpainted with emulsion successfully.

Sponsored Links
A messy but effective/cheap option would be to paste the paint with wallpaper paste. This will reactivate the sizing (assuming that you used matt paint).

You will then be able to scrape the softened paint off.

Alternatively use a steam stripper but you run the risk of blowing the skim coat.

The other suggestions will work but you will still see the crazed finish (to a degree)

Thanks for your advice Gus, Emily and Opps - I do appreciate everyones response. I will speak to the OH and see the best way to go. At least now I have answer, which is much appreciated.

S

gus - what's with all the double and triple commas? Combined with the textspeak abbreviations (didn''t think anyone did that any more!), they make your posts very hard to follow.
Dear Emily , right are you so . Indeed Ye Size wast used in Tudor England , distilled from goat urine . At least ye text isn`t peppered with grocer`s apostrophe`s :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back