creaking /crunching floor boards on a new floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just had an extention done on the back of my house with a large bedroom. the joists were put on hangers rather than through the wall there is a loud creak/crunch noise over about 70% of the floor. i have called the builders out twice now to fix it. first time they put extra screws in the second time they reinforced the joists with herinbone type noggins.this also has had no effect any ideas anybody

Sponsored Links
just to check "crunching" - is there any chance of sand/mortar/builders rubbish being trapped between the floorboards and joists?

Sponsored Links
not sure but the noise can come from 3or 4 feet away from where the walking is. so it may be movement in the joists?

JohnD said:
just to check "crunching" - is there any chance of sand/mortar/builders rubbish being trapped between the floorboards and joists?

I'd go with this one.

joe

14ft span and 3x2 joists?!! for that kind of span i would expect to see 9x2s. Measure the joists and the centres and the span exactly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back