Creaking floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Almost every floorboard in my house creaks or moves, I’ve had the carpet up and quite a few of the floorboards have been screwed down with woodscrews, I’ve tried tightening them without much success, and some of the nails have also started to lift.

I’ve knocked some lose nails back down using a punch, but I’m worried this may crack the ceiling below?

What’s the best way to quieten the floor?

will the woodscrews damage the joists?

Sponsored Links
Drill the floorboard first aswell to reduce splitting when close to the edge.

Some floor boards creak no matter how many screws depending on age of house and mods done over time.

Tongue and groove floor boards I have found the grooves creak, so I have use a multi tool and cut down the groove of the joists, this has helped stop the creaking also.

If you have chip board floors and they've been gut about they are a night mare to stop creaking, best way I found was to make sure there is a clear 2mm gap all around the board , use spacers if required, screw down with plenty of screws and then remove the spacers.

Be careful of pipes.

Sometimes if there are lots of pipes the boards don't sit. Right depending on direction they go. In this case remove the board sand replace with a sheet of ply of the correct thickness. Make sure the pipes are wrapped to allow expansion (if not you will get horrible cracking and creaking when heating and hot water is used).

Make sure the pipes are marked clearly on the top of the board and screw around them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back