Creaking pvc patio sliding door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our pvc patio sliding door creaks in high wind, I assume it's the plastic bits flexing or at least it sounds like plastic flexing. Is this normal.

Also while I'm here, the white sealant around the outside of the frame where it meets the bricks has cracked, should I try to remove as much as possible of the old before applying new? I guess this happens over time, think the door has been in about 10 years. Just hope the sealant isn't the thing holding the door in the wall!

Sponsored Links
Creaking of flexing noises aren't normal, you should be able to see the screw heads to see how many fixings there are, some additional fixings may solve it, yes the sealant won't last forever so anything existing should be completely removed before replacing - typically, new sealant does not stick to old sealant, post a picture?

I'll have a look tomorrow at the fixings, if I can see them. And take a pick of the sealant cracking around the frame. From videos I've watched they seem to screw the frame through into masonry but don't use wall plugs, maybe that's normal. Is the frame sealant usually silicone based or PU? I've got some sil chemical remover somewhere is all, otherwise a scraper or utility knife.

Sponsored Links
The screws into the frame are obviously concealed somehow and can't see any. Are there just plastic covers that pull off to reveal? Have attached cracked sealant around frame on outside. It's not that bad in most places, worst where verticals meets ground. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• 20240407_101001.jpg
    20240407_101001.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 11

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back