Creaking radiator brackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently replaced a couple of 45-year old radiators with new ones. The new ones came from Wickes, complete with mounting brackets. The old ones were completely silent in operation, but the new ones creak like mad as they heat up and cool down.

The noise seems to come from the point where they hang on the metal mounting brackets. Does anyone have solution for this? I'd guess that something soft inserted at this point would help, but I can't think of anything that's likely to survive being pinched between two sharp bits of metal like this.

Alternatively, could anyone suggest alternative mounting brackets that don't creak?

Sponsored Links
Decent rad brackets come with small polythene inserts to sit in the brackets where the rad will hang. You sure you haven't got these in the packaging ?
Where I was missing some a while back I put multiple layers of electrical insulating tap into those spaces on the brackets and it worked fine. Also, make sure the bracket is taking the weight of the rad and not the pipes so that the rad isn't 'flouting around' in the bracket.

Thanks, that's interesting. I didn't notice any inserts in the packaging, which has since been ditched. However, I know Wickes do separate brackets so I'll have a look and see what they come with next time I'm there.

Meanwhile, to save taking the rads off again if possible, I'm going to try a small dab of lithium grease. Bit of a long shot, but it might work.

Sponsored Links
someone on here reccomended the insulation of electrical cable -cut lengthways.

go back 2 wickes, the sell the radiator brackets seperatly and if i remember correctly they include the inserts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back