Creaky Chipboard advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, we had the floor up earlier in the year to have some electrics done and discovered that at some point in the past a when central heating was installed the floorboards had been replaced with MDF/Chipboard. (See pic)

2015-03-03 (1).jpg

The trouble we have is once back down the areas where the board is are very very creaky. It is screwed in 100% tightly but the boards seem to depress between the joists and creak against their adjacent boards (they are a very tight fit when put back in)

Originally i thought that maybe i'd just take them out. My plan is to take a sander to the edges to give the boards a little wiggle room and then resit them and put talcum powder into the edges to stop the rub. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

But as i'll be having them up would it be worth replacing them with something stronger. I don't think they should be depressing as much as they are between the joists. I don't think i could just replace with new floorboards due to the pipe runs (Probably why the central heating fitter went with the boards in the first place)

When i pull the carpet up again it's going to be a one time thing so any other options would be greatly received.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
We're approaching bonfire night, so you can make good use of that chipboard. It doesn't even look like flooring chip.

It is fine on a bonfire but not so good as a floor. Don't waste your time trying to make it slightly less bad. Replace with new boards. If necessary, you can use 18mm WBP ply which is stronger and more rigid, screwed down well. Put noggins under any short edges or unsupported joints.

We're approaching bonfire night, so you can make good use of that chipboard. It doesn't even look like flooring chip.

It is fine on a bonfire but not so good as a floor. Don't waste your time trying to make it slightly less bad. Replace with new boards. If necessary, you can use 18mm WBP ply which is stronger and more rigid, screwed down well. Put noggins under any short edges or unsupported joints.

As i suspected. Is this the sort of thing you mean? (First google result)

https://www.selcobw.com/exterior-plywood-sheet-1220-x-2440-x-18mm

yes, you can also get spruce ply intended for flooring with T&G all round, but it has a very poor knotty surface. Either will be better than what you have. See if you can get a 2400x600 or smaller if that would be a better size for you, the big sheets are quite awkward and heavy. The fewer joints and cuts you have the more rigid it will be.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your help JohnD. You have been a great help. They have some 600mm in my local Timber yard.

In terms of noggins should they be the full height of the joist (probably 6 or 8 inches) or could i get away with 4" sitting flush with the top of the joists. Also is nailing/screwing them in diagonally ok as i wouldn't be able to offset them to nail them in from behind?

4" is plenty as the span is so short. 2x2" would do. It may help to pilot drill for the nails as they will move when hammered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back