Fixing creaky chipboard flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The upstairs of my house has creaky flooring. The house is only about 15 years old so the floor is made of sheets of tongue-and-groove chipboard, nailed to the joists. The stud walls are built on top, so pulling up the floor would be a nightmare.

I have had advice (from a builder and neighbours with similar problems) and the conclusion is that I should just add screws because the nails are a bit loose, causing the creaking.

I also heard from someone that this problem does not usually happen if the boards are also glued to the joists when originally fitted.

Now because of other work on my house, most of my ceilings are down at the moment, so I can access most of the underside of the floor. Hence it has crossed my mind that I could add some glue along the edge of the joists where they meet the floor.

Is this a good idea or a waste of effort? If good, what sort of glue should I use?

Sponsored Links
Waste of time mate, buy a few hundred 45mm screws from a supplier and screw it down. Kit houses are never built to the best spec(i know i own one)!

chipboard is rubbish. save up and buy a better material. Flooring ply is much better. I like floorboards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back