Creaky Floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After living in my new house for about a year the creaky floors boards have really started to annoy me. The house was built in 1988 and is a private estate so all the houses are the same. We do not have regular floor boards they are large sheets of wood, I am not sure what type though. The walls to the house have been built over the top of the sheets so when walking in the bathroom the floor also creaks in one of the bedrooms. Can anyone suggest a way to prevent all this creaking? Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You need to screw the boards down to the joists using 2" screws. Make sure you know where you're screwing though - you don't want to go through any pipes or cables. You're usually pretty safe if you stay close to where they have previously been fixed/nailed.

Thanks gcol,

Can anyone advise of a company who could do this for me. I am in SE London / Kent area.

how about you?

you only need a screwdriver and screws, too small a job for a company, well within a diy spec

Sponsored Links
The screwdriver part sounds easy enough but taking up all the carpets and relaying them doesn't sound easy.

it is, but the person taking up the carpets is unlikely to want to put screws down.

Either be brave and have a go yourself, or look for a handyman type - like me! Unfortunately I don't travel to London. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back