Solid Wood floor - squeaky and springy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'm looking at buying a house which has solid wood, juncker-style flooring. In spots around the house, the flooring is pretty creaky and in someplaces it's a bit springy (you can press up and down on the floor to get the creaking going). I'm told the floor is only a year old....

I'm thinking that perhaps the problem is that the floor has not been given enough room to expand. Is this a factor for solid wood flooring just like it is for floorboards?

I was thinking perhaps the remedy would be to remove the skirtings and cut back the wood by an inch or so for an expansion gap.

Or will I just ruin a perfectly good floor?

Sponsored Links
It's more likely that the floor surface underneath isn't level and the voids are causing the springy effect.

Really? Even though it's a brand new build with concrete underneath?

Sapper said:
Really? Even though it's a brand new build with concrete underneath?
Especially new builds with new concrete underneath, if the 'quality' of new builds in Ireland is the same as over here!

Sponsored Links
Well I'm not sure I remember anyone singing the praises of new developments in Dublin anyway!

Actually, I'm going off solid wood flooring these days and was probably going to carpet the main living areas. Don't really want to get rid of the solid wood though as most people would view that as a selling point.

Is it okay to leave the junckers flooring in place and just carpet over it? If yes, would the carpet dampen the creaking? (I've only ever had wood floors in the past - new convert to carpet)

Sapper said:
Well I'm not sure I remember anyone singing the praises of new developments in Dublin anyway!

Actually, I'm going off solid wood flooring these days
As most people ;) Wood-Engineered floors, especially the thicker ones and the full-plank types with bevels, are sold more and more instead of solid flooring the last few years. The European Parquet Producing Organisation reported over 2005 'only' 7% solid flooring being made (and most of that used for 'old-fashioned' parquet flooring e.g. herringbones and the likes). The rest 'just' 93% was multi-layered wooden flooring

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back