Creases in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

My ceiling is sort of creased in 3 areas, it's clearly where the boards ends meet, but not where the sides of the boards meet.

I've pushed the boards and they don't move and the ceiling is flush. The creases feel like paper but I don't think the ceiling was ever papered.

Does anyone know what has happened, and what would be the easiest way to get rid of them?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It looks as if some of the tapes are coming away from the joints in the plasterboard. Are you sure the ceiling hasn't got paper on too? Anyway, the only solution really is to take off the old loose tapes, and put new ones on.

Yep!! Have the faulty ones re-taped for definite, plus check all the other tapes too,, i'd rip them all off just to make sure,, plus make sure there's no "thin lining paper" on the ceiling. When you've re-taped the ceiling, and you're sure the rest is sound,, give it a coat of pva and have it skimmed with a couple of coats of multi. Make sure when you skim the ceiling with the first coat of multi, the pva is wet/tacky. Put on the second coat of multi immediately after the first coat has been put on.

Sponsored Links
Yep!! Have the faulty ones re-taped for definite, plus check all the other tapes too,, i'd rip them all off just to make sure,, plus make sure there's no "thin lining paper" on the ceiling. When you've re-taped the ceiling, and you're sure the rest is sound,, give it a coat of pva and have it skimmed with a couple of coats of multi. Make sure when you skim the ceiling with the first coat of multi, the pva is wet/tacky. Put on the second coat of multi immediately after the first coat has been put on.

Sorted - make sure you do get all the tapes off while you're at it - a stitch in time and all that.

Now looking closely at the ceiling I can see the tape along all the boards, but most of it isn't creaseing (yet). I've never noticed it before.

As the tape is failing do you think the ceiling was never skimmed in the first place? 'cos I shouldn't be able to see the tape through skim?

Thanks.

if the tapes you can see are about 2" wide and have perfect straight edges then you have got a tape and join ceiling, not a plastered ceiling.

This extension was built about 10 years ago (before I bought the house), nowadays skrim tape is used, did they use something else back then?

They used paper tape on your job by the looks of it, and it's still widely used today. Most people believe it to be stronger than fibre tape. The only drawback with paper tape is that it has to be well bedded on initially,,, (no air bubbles trapped enderneath etc). Most paper taping is done using a machine to apply the tape.

Is that third pic slightly different?
The crack looks a bit more jagged, as though the boards have moved a bit also.
Would the boards need re-securing too in the local area so didn't re-crack after new tape?

Just my 4pence worth ;)

The third pic is a close-up of the other creases photographed. I push the boards and there is no movement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back