Creating a wind-break using a suitable "plastic"

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi gents

Hoping you can help me with something that is a little window-related.

My balcony suffers from a light breeze some afternoons which makes it uncomfortable to use. I would like to remedy this by constructing some screens using a suitable transparent plastic, but don't know the best one to choose.

I envisage that the screens ( probably 3 off ) will be 2m x 1 m and wood-framed. The screens will only be used when someone on the balcony, so we don't need to be concerned about major, long-term, wind-resistance.

I live at 5, 000 ' with quite a lot of sun ( N French Alps ), so UV resistance needs to be considered, as does resistance to scratching when assembling/dis-asssembling as well as weight and cost ( as always ).

I look forward to receiving your thoughts

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I had really thought that weight and safety would rule that out ( probably cost too if a "treated" glass were used ) . What would you say would be the thinnest reasonable thickness and what would 2 m2 weigh ? Which treatment would be necessary ?

Are there really no suitable plastics ?

you could create a pocket that was on the balcony lower, and you pulled up the perspex screen the same way that old train windows worked? That way the only wear and tear would be assembly one time. But wind shear is to be considered.
a simple strap that lifts the transparent panel up, and a bolt like catch to secure the panel in place. make the top of the panel into a lid that keeps the weather out.
but prespex is expensive.

Sponsored Links
I had really thought that weight and safety would rule that out ( probably cost too if a "treated" glass were used ) . What would you say would be the thinnest reasonable thickness and what would 2 m2 weigh ? Which treatment would be necessary ?

Are there really no suitable plastics ?

Uv stable acrylic or perspex ( can't remember which way round , but one is 20 x stronger than glass , the other 200x stronger.)

As goes weight of glass .... 4mm thick glass weighs approx 10kg for every m2, and if using glass I would highly recommend toughened/tempered for safety reasons

Thanks for the links Tcr, however those pockets would be vulnerable to the high winds we get occasionally, plus the council wouldn't like them.

Ronnie, thanks for the glass tips.

Polycarbonate rather than acrylic - it has greater flexibility. Bus shelter screens are made from a similar compound and they call it vandalite, for obvious reasons. Costs an arm and a leg though for what it is but its dead easy to cut and doesn't splinter.
John :)

With the massive amount of UV at that altitude any plastic will discolour over time. What's wrong with toughened glass? Typical Alpine chalet restaurant balconies are sheltered with big sheets of glass to create a draft-free sunspot. Have a look around any ski resort.

What's wrong with toughened glass?

Weight is the main issue. A 2 m2 panel of 3 mm glass* weighs 15 kg and since they would not be permanently positioned, the effort of mounting/dismounting needs to be considered: also, of course, the possibility of breaking the glass whilst doing this.

* I don't know if this would be the ideal thickness. If it needed to be 4 mm, then that becomes 20 kg and - together with the overall size - somewhat unwieldy.

I'll consult my local glass-merchant on my next trip to the super-market ! It is handily situated next-door, but I have to say I am a bit wary of them, because the boss always has a top -of-the -line BMW or Merc (frequently changing ) parked outside.

Polycarbonate would be my choice, fairly expensive though. A 2m x 1m 2mm thick will be about £50.

I guess you need it clear, otherwise twinwall polycarbonate as used for conservatory roofs is light, very strong and reasonable cost. Clear is available, but it has lines on it.

https://www.thepolycarbonatestore.co.uk/twinwall-polycarbonate

Glass would be awkward and heavy to move around. It would need to be 4mm toughened as a minimum.

Notch7

Thanks for your reply, but do I need this extra strength ? I have read that acrylic is "stronger " than glass but not as "strong" as polycarbonate, so I find myself thinking that for the light breezes I want to avoid, acrylic would be fine. One thing I have not managed to determine is if there is any difference between the two as far as scratch-resistance is concerned: both seem to be equally easy to scratch - true ?

I don't know if you work in this area or not, but do you believe that 2 mm of polycarbonate/acrylic would be sufficiently rigid to not "belly" significantly with a light breeze, when I am considering 2 m x 1m sheets ?

John. My apologies for not replying to your earlier comment. Rude of me considering the helpful comments you have often given me in the "Car repairs " section. :)

Notch7

Thanks for your reply, but do I need this extra strength ? I have read that acrylic is "stronger " than glass but not as "strong" as polycarbonate, so I find myself thinking that for the light breezes I want to avoid, acrylic would be fine. One thing I have not managed to determine is if there is any difference between the two as far as scratch-resistance is concerned: both seem to be equally easy to scratch - true ?

I don't know if you work in this area or not, but do you believe that 2 mm of polycarbonate/acrylic would be sufficiently rigid to not "belly" significantly with a light breeze, when I am considering 2 m x 1m sheets ?

John. My apologies for not replying to your earlier comment. Rude of me considering the helpful comments you have often given me in the "Car repairs " section. :)

If you arent worried about high wind pressure then acrylic (perspex as iis often known), should be fine. If you are setting the sheet into a wooden frame then that will make the sheet less likely to crack when being moved around as the frame will keep it flat. I do wonder if 2m x 1m is a bit big, maybe the frame should have some intermediate timber, say 2 so will reduce the chance of buffeting winds making the sheet bow in and out.

I think perspex has quite good resistance to UV, certainly better than polycarbonate which goes yellow over time.

Be aware that perspex is easily scratched so you will need to be careful moving, storing and cleaning. You might have a bit of a static issue as well causing dust to stick to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back