Creating an en suite/wetroom from scratch so a few questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Go easy on me...

We are creating an ensuite in what is currently part closet/part bedroom. I.e knocking through a doorway and building a stud to section the room off.

It won't be a particularly large space but we have decided upon a 800 x 1200 wetroom with a shower screen.

The actual shower will be made u of 1 brick wall (already plastered) and two stud walls (still to be built).

I am not a big fan of shower trays and so really like the idea of the aquadry wetroom tileable tray.

Phew ... Ok, questions:

Do I need to tank or waterproof the walls that will make up the shower? How would you suggest I go about this, using what, and at what stage?

Should I have the new stud walls plastered prior to tiling on them?

Does anybody have any experience of the aquadry trays? Could you suggest something different/cheaper? I am getting it for £180.

I'm not completely decided upon whether I want the shower tray to be sunken in to the floor to create a wetroom, or just to add it onto the floorboards, this is probably dependant on the work involved, how would I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Seeing as you are going to so much trouble - why not post some pics of the proposed area and perhaps scan a sketch of what you plan?

There's not much use in answering questions that are, in a sense, a shot in the dark. As your project develops, all will become clearer.

Stay with this forum - research on here - and do first things first.

Structural issues - dimensions (footprint plan and sections) - first fix: drainage - supplies - elec. etc.

Go easy on me...

We are creating an ensuite in what is currently part closet/part bedroom. I.e knocking through a doorway and building a stud to section the room off.

It won't be a particularly large space but we have decided upon a 800 x 1200 wetroom with a shower screen.

The actual shower will be made u of 1 brick wall (already plastered) and two stud walls (still to be built).

I am not a big fan of shower trays and so really like the idea of the aquadry wetroom tileable tray.

Phew ... Ok, questions:

Do I need to tank or waterproof the walls that will make up the shower? How would you suggest I go about this, using what, and at what stage?

Should I have the new stud walls plastered prior to tiling on them?

Does anybody have any experience of the aquadry trays? Could you suggest something different/cheaper? I am getting it for £180.

I'm not completely decided upon whether I want the shower tray to be sunken in to the floor to create a wetroom, or just to add it onto the floorboards, this is probably dependant on the work involved, how would I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Yes the walls of your shower will need to be tanked, unless you are boarding the walls with a tile backerboard such as aqua panel or hardie
use an easy install tanking kit such as BAL WP1,

what tiles are you planning on using, large format ? personally I would not plaster the walls

I have fitted few aquadry systems, they are ok, I obviously got it a lot cheaper than you have been quoted, but thats probs because of 31 yrs trade lol

Sponsored Links
Jimmy
The aqua dry,are these the one b&q are selling...do they have a gradient in them or are they a level system...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back