Creating combined feed & vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have blocked cold feed into the central heating. I've tried system cleaner and using mains pressure but I cant shift the blockage. Unfortunately I can't cut out the blocked piece of pipe either as it's below the tiled kitchen floor.

So the last option is can I combine the feed and vent? I've read online that some people are in favour and some against.
I've attached a picture of the pipes in the loft. The feed is the flat pipe and the vent it the one going out the roof.

Not sure why, but you'll see someone at somepoint has cut both pipes and rejoined them.
So my question is, on the feed pipe where the join is, can I cap the old pipe and then simply make a T connection to the vent pipe to connect them?
Can this be done simply using plastic pipe and push fit fittings?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 20210822_162348.jpg
    20210822_162348.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 207
  • Screenshot_20210822-164059_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210822-164059_Gallery.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 172
Sponsored Links
Yes you can connect the feed into the vent as long as the vent is 22mm all the way down and the boiler has a overheat stat.

It's in the loft. It's just infront of that big pile of insulation that I moved so I could take a picture of the pipes.

Hi yes I realised when you said vent went out on to roof.

Sponsored Links
Thank you!
Just checked the boiler manual (glowworm micron 50ff) and it does say that it has a safety overheat and I actually just noticed that combined feed and vent is mentioned in the manual as allowed.

I take it it really is just as simple as capping the blocked pipe and joining the 15mm to a tee in the 22mm vent?

Just a quick follow up.

Connected the two pipes together this evening and it works perfectly. First time since owing the house that the system can fill itself up!

Thanks again Picasso.

Attachments

• 20210823_205952.jpg
    20210823_205952.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 158

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back