Creative loft suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

The ridge of our house is way too low. We've accepted that. It's a double fronted property but only has two bedrooms. We bought it because of the location and it has loads of potential.

We have planning permission for a double storey extension to create a third bedroom at the back, there is currently a huge void begging for it (we're a terrace) Pic attached.

The back of the house is significantly lower than the front. I'm thinking if designed correctly we could put the loft conversion across the back of the house, above the double story extension. Does that make any sense? Then we would still be in line with the ridge from the front. Asking because we'll outgrow in 5 years and would like to stay longer.

PS I was told by a couple of builders that something could be on top of the bathroom, that's to the right of the pic. The ceiling is incredibly high. If the ceiling height is lower in the double story extension then I'm hoping it's possible (clutching at straws!). Canvassing ideas before I risk resubmitting our plans.

Any diyer's/expert advice?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 140
Sponsored Links
Any suggestions welcome :whistle: Even if it's to post to another board, not sure if this is the best area on the forum.

Was trying to avoid paying someone to tell me know but I guess that is life!

Thanks

Does that make any sense?
It makes some sense, it sounds plausible from your description but I'm not sure your description is any good, if you've had plans drawn up etc, then why not post them and then sketch over them what it is you're proposing exactly? There are plenty here who can offer advice but we need some clarity .....

Thanks Freddy. I've attached our plans for the double storey.

It might not be clear. The new extension is the red bit, you can see it's not deep. If a dormer can go across the back of the house, not cutting into the original roof of the house, and over the bathroom section (which has a higher pithch) I was hoping the space would be usuable.

Any thoughts before I approach the architect again?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forgot attachments.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 94

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back