Credit Card refunds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had occasion to ask a credit card company for some help with a refund for a payment I had made to a company once. This is what happened:

My friend/bandmate/coursemate and I were students at Sheffield University and were on our 'sandwich' year working in Hertfordshire. There were other students from other universities also on their sandwich year and soon a group of us formed a clique and this was our regular social group.

Every November in Sheffield there was an event called 'Pyjama Jump'. It was all in the cause of charidee. Tickets were £25 or so to get into a nightclub. However, the main purpose of the evening was for the women to get dressed up in nightclothes and the men in drag (the girls would do your make-up), the more outrageous and slaggy the better. Everyone got horribly drunk and if you wanted to snog someone or have a grope it was considered perfectly acceptable to go up to them, say hello and just do it. (This slightly horrifies me now, but hey we were young). This was in pubs, in the street, in the queue for one of the nightclubs, wherever really. Some nightclubs handed out condoms when you walked in and had mattresses. All very romantic. Due to the amount of drunk people (40,000 - both Sheffield universities' students, locals and people who travelled in) concentrated in one area the police closed large areas of the city to traffic, and have now banned it. Some pubs also had a re-fit every year such was the debauchery. Eeeh, memories. Anyway...

So my mate and I persuaded most of our clique to come with us. Of course we all needed costumes, and the men decided we needed a theme. After considering many options, I saw an advert in the back of a newspaper offering leather mini-skirts. We decided to go for this, and as time was short, ordered seven of them with 'Express Delivery' for an extra £15 or something like that.

When the package arrived there was only one skirt in it, yes one. We were miffed as not only had our skirts not arrived, the express delivery charge could now not be split between us. After ringing the company and expressing my displeasure at this, they said the offer was only one per household. I pointed out that the advert did not say this, but they refused to refund the express delivery charge. I had to go away on a trip with work, but rang BarclayCard to tell them about it. They said they would talk to the company.

When I got back, there was a letter on my doormat from said company. Turns out they were a company that sold adult toys and outfits and such like (the kind you may find ripped up on railway sidings). ('Express Delivery'??! - can anyone be in that much of a hurry?) Accompanying this lovely catalogue was a letter stating that I could have £10 worth of 'Adult Pleasure Products'. I rang them to say I did not want £10 worth of 'Adult Pleasure Products', but they insisted I was not getting a refund for the delivery.

I rang BarclayCard and said I did not want £10 worth of 'Adult Pleasure Products' and they said they would refund it for me if I wrote them a letter detailing all this. Which I did. They refunded it straight away. So it all ended well.

A good weekend was had by all, with one memorable incident of us trailing round and round the charity shops looking for clothes for one of our group because he wanted everything matching blue.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Back