Theresa May supports Labour Policy

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
It was great to hear Theresa moving towards Labour's manifesto promises on Tuition Fees and Student Loans today.

"...education should be free, and we will restore this principle.
No one should be put off educating themselves for lack of money or through fear of debt.

There is a real fear that students are being priced out of university education. Last year saw the steepest fall in university applications for 30 years. Since the Conservatives came to power, university tuition fees have been trebled to over £9,000 a year, and maintenance grants have been abolished and replaced with loans. The average student now graduates from university, and starts their working life, with debts of £44,000. Labour will reintroduce maintenance grants for university students, and we will abolish university tuition fees. University tuition is free in many northern European countries, and under a Labour government it will be free here too."

"Further and Adult Education
Despite claiming to be committed to delivering high-quality training, the Conservatives have ruthlessly cut funding for FE colleges – our main provider of adult and vocational education – and reduced entitlements for adult learners. This has led to diminishing numbers of courses and students, and plunged the sector into crisis. "

You can read more about Theresa's new approach on https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/labour-manifesto-2017.pdf

TheresaOhJeremy.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's a shame that Labour hadn't apologised in their manifesto for introducing higher education fees in the first place.

"...education should be free, and we will restore this principle.
No one should be put off educating themselves for lack of money or through fear of debt.

How much is a computer and an internet connection? I've learnt so much online, stuff I'd never learn without the web.

What about life experience and learning on the job?

What's so good about a degree?

Are all degrees worth the same?

Why should all higher education be free if not all degrees provide value to the tax payer?

Where's the money for it?

Education should be free, but it isn't, someone is paying for it in taxes?

-------------------------------

Mansplaining -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansplaining

If you want voters give the electorate some intellectual respect.

-------------------------------

And John, it's sad to see you slip back into your pre-2018 habits. Why don't you get yourself on a course or volunteer instead of spending all your waking hours on this forum posting pointless political shyte.

posting pointless political shyte.
Surely you mean gasbag.
Or Doggit
Or Notch
Or me
I'm pretty certain JD is not alone or speaking to himself and is certainly not alone in starting political threads. Yep gasbag wins gold in that one.

Sponsored Links
Surely you mean gasbag.
Or Doggit
Or Notch
Or me
I'm pretty certain JD is not alone or speaking to himself and is certainly not alone in starting political threads. Yep gasbag wins gold in that one.

Mods should lead by example

Where is Theresa going to find the £90 billion?

That's quite a few saplings to plant. "We're gonna need a bigger forest"

"if you think education is expensive, you should try ignorance"

It's actually more expensive for the taxpayer to have tuition fees than free education, due to the high rate of non-repayment!

Most of our European neighbours have a much better understanding of such matters, but that goes against the UK/US exploitation model.

A couple of family members are currently getting their degrees abroad for free, and I really can't understand why more UK students don't do the same.

Still, Europe is gearing up for the post Brexit world - and our overpriced 'seats of learning' will have a battle on their hands to stay in business!
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/e...n-international-students-poland-a8218521.html

UK students will have to start paying full fees abroad of course (unlike the local costs they pay now), as they will no longer get EU/EEA rates - another way the young have been shafted by Brexit!

Last edited:
It's a shame that Labour hadn't apologised in their manifesto for introducing higher education fees in the first place.
Or indeed for their manifesto pledge in 2001 to not introduce top up fees, which they obviously forgot about in 2003 when they introduced them.

Sponsored Links
Back