creosote substitute alternative

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

need a low odour plant friendly 'creosote substitute' to brush on fence

panels/posts ( some treated with creosote substitute 2yr previous )

TIA

Sponsored Links
This might be a silly question. Why plant friendly? You are putting it on the fence not watering the garden with it. As you are working outside, is odour going to be an issue? I have seen some branded sprayable fence products say they are low odour.

creosote was intended to protect against rot and insect attack. if the fence is already built, it's too late for that now - the posts and anything else in contact with the ground will rot first.

So are you talking about a decorative coating?

Modern fence stains are available in a variety of dull colours, including dark brown. They leave a waxy, water-repellent film on the wood which helps protect it. They are water-based but once dry are waterproof. They are not poisonous to plants though if you drip or splash it on leaves during application, they will leave a brown mark until the leaf falls off in autumn. They don't smell much. Once dried they don't smell. and can be applied over preservatives that are weathered and no longer oily.

MarkBarl said:
This might be a silly question. Why plant friendly?

Both sides of fence are planted any splashes *burn* leaves / fruit

MarkBarl said:
You are putting it on the fence not watering the garden with it. As you are working outside, is odour going to be an issue?

Last coat of creosote substitute strong odour lasted weeks !! Weather still warm windows open , fruit etc
MarkBarl said:
I have seen some branded sprayable fence products say they are low odour.

Spray is an option but which one ?

JohnD said:
creosote was intended to protect against rot and insect attack. if the fence is already built, it's too late for that now - the posts and anything else in contact with the ground will rot first.

So are you talking about a decorative coating?

Old fence pretreated new replacement panels need to be treated ( recoating whole fence )

JohnD said:
They are not poisonous to plants though if you drip or splash it on leaves during application, they will leave a brown mark until the leaf falls off in autumn. They don't smell much. Once dried they don't smell. and can be applied over preservatives that are weathered and no longer oily.

JohnD which ones are good, brand name /value i dont want to reapply every year

TIA

Sponsored Links
Brands:

I suspect they may be all the same... but Cuprinol and I think Ronseal are good companies, a bit more expensive and I think claim to have a 5-year life. On mine it easily lasts that except on the top rails exposed to sun, hail, birds and cats, but if you want to keep it smart you could run a brush along the top without needing to do the whole fence so often.

there are always cheaper own-brand ones in the DIY sheds which will be OK, may not be quite as good.

the Spray and Roller versions are more expensive but as far as I know no better. Spraying tends to drift onto your plants, your neighbours washin, the house and car etc.

They are very easy to apply with a big soft brush and do not need rubbing down or anything (but mud, moss etc must be removd so you can apply it to the wood). Apply the first coat more carefully, brushing it well into cracks and joints.

You can get by with one coat but I prefer to apply two or three. It dries so fast that by the time you have got down to the end of the fence the first end is ready again. It will stain clothes but washes off smooth skin easily and contains no spirits or solvents. Wear gloves or it will get under your fingernails and need to be scrubbed out.

edit
p.s. see http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/ducksback_overview.html

p.p.s If there is a heavy rainstorm before it has fully dried, it will all be washed off. that has happened to me :(

JohnD said:
Brands:

I suspect they may be all the same... but Cuprinol and I think Ronseal are good companies, a bit more expensive and I think claim to have a 5-year life......

edit
p.s. see http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/ducksback_overview.html

p.p.s If there is a heavy rainstorm before it has fully dried, it will all be washed off. that has happened to me :(

will try cuprinol from link JohnD and pick a sunny day ;)

TIA

we got some "stuff" from b & q it sounds similar to described, it does leave a waxy film on the shed, fence etc

does anyone know how long creosote substitute will take to become odorless? I have stupidly coated a play house with a wickes creosote substitute and it stinks to high heaven. Or does anyone know of some way to neutralize the smell.
thanks in advance

breezer said:
we got some "stuff" from b & q it sounds similar to described, it does leave a waxy film on the shed, fence etc

How often do you recoat it ?

TIA

every 2 or 3 years keeps it smart

though some say they last 5 years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back