Crescendo style LED lighting on stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Does anyone know if it is possible to have the effect of a crescendo style LED lighting up the stairway as you approach the stairs and set to a timer?

I'm in the process of rebuilding my home and when it comes to putting some nice new contemporary stairs, I would like the side lights on each step or under light steps to switch on one by one rather than on all at once.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Lighting on stairs should be designed to ensure the stairs can be used safely at all times and especially so when there is an emergency that requires evacuation via the stairs.

Yes of course it is possible. Not sure if there's any retail equipment that'll do the job but CMOS logic still exists- an IR detector, a 555, couple of 4017s and as many Darlington drivers as you have steps and you're away. Double the component count if you want the effect to reverse (so the wave runs downhill as well as uphill) but not impossible- logic is cheap.

Lighting on stairs should be designed to ensure the stairs can be used safely at all times and especially so when there is an emergency that requires evacuation via the stairs.

Yes that is what the main lighting for. I'meferring to additional decorative lighting.

Sponsored Links
Yes of course it is possible. Not sure if there's any retail equipment that'll do the job but CMOS logic still exists- an IR detector, a 555, couple of 4017s and as many Darlington drivers as you have steps and you're away. Double the component count if you want the effect to reverse (so the wave runs downhill as well as uphill) but not impossible- logic is cheap.

Approx how much would you say that setup would cost assuming 12 steps?

Couple of cheap burglar alarm IR detectors £15 (make sure they have volt-free contacts)
LED lights to go up the stairs- infinite variations, pick what you want. Easiest might be those strips you can get to go under kitchen units, cheapest probably big single jobbies from process control systems
Controller- now you've opened a can of worms. The 555/4017 combination will work but is very old-school, going to need a shedload of diodes and won't be very flexible. A random Google search led me to the Arduino microcontroller which looks like the boy to me- £25 from the worlds' favourite online tat bazaar plus £5 for a power supply so there's £30
Darlington drivers 8 channel 40p each. Depends how powerful your lamps are as to how many you need- each channel will sink 500mA at 12v but if they're all at that current for a while the thing will get hot. At that price I'd use 12 of them (one for each step) and parallel the gates (so if your power supply is up to it you can have a safe 24w per step all lit up for as long as you like) plus 12 DIL sockets £3 for 30 so there's another £8
A lump of stripboard to fix all the bits to £3
A box to put it all in £5
A drum of alarm cable (signal from PIR) and a load of 2 core bell wire £25 (outputs to steps).
A nice beefy 12v PSU (proper one with copper in it) £35 or so once you've stuck a bridge rec and a cap on it. (The cheapo switch mode ones may struggle with the load variations)
An hour or 2 learning how to program the controller
A day putting the circuit card together
Another day fitting the lamps to the staircase
So if you're doing it yourself the controller, cable, power supplies etc will cost £120 and a couple of days of your life and however much you want to spend on lamps
Have fun

This reminds me of a Contraption I had to build many years ago (198 something cough splutter). Director wanted a MASSIVE sign covered in Pygmy lamps spelling out the name of the show (CABARET), he wanted them to chase letter by letter then the whole thing to flash on and off and then back to the beginning.
We could have put it on the lighting desk but there was no automatic chase facility on it so some poor sod would have to sit there for 45 minutes (while audience were coming in) pressing the GO button every second. So I got told I was building a Device.
Cue 555 timer, 4017 chip, a bag of diodes and a load of triacs (mains lamps). Built it all nicely in a box (triacs are interesting, 240v gets where you don't really want it), tested it on single lamps- seemed to work OK, got the speed about right. Connected it to the proper sign (which was massive- about 30 lamps per letter, festoon wire and holders are so handy). Power on- ooooh look, isn't it pretty. And then it started chasing faster. And then this nasty burning smell became apparent, along with smoke out of the box. And before we had time to kill the power the thing self-destructed. Post mortem showed one of the triacs was not perfectly insulated from the heatsink, on test load the fault didn't show but on full load, 300w at 240v was looking for a home and found it on the 12v rail of the transformer.
Could have been a disaster until the old stage manager dragged out a Thing that used to power the sign at the front of the building- 10 mercury switches and a motor driven cam. Worked beautifully.

Are you trippin'? You soon would be.

Shalmon!

michael_jackson-1135.gif

Couple of cheap burglar alarm IR detectors £15 (make sure they have volt-free contacts)
LED lights to go up the stairs- infinite variations, pick what you want. Easiest might be those strips you can get to go under kitchen units, cheapest probably big single jobbies from process control systems
Controller- now you've opened a can of worms. The 555/4017 combination will work but is very old-school, going to need a shedload of diodes and won't be very flexible. A random Google search led me to the Arduino microcontroller which looks like the boy to me- £25 from the worlds' favourite online tat bazaar plus £5 for a power supply so there's £30
Darlington drivers 8 channel 40p each. Depends how powerful your lamps are as to how many you need- each channel will sink 500mA at 12v but if they're all at that current for a while the thing will get hot. At that price I'd use 12 of them (one for each step) and parallel the gates (so if your power supply is up to it you can have a safe 24w per step all lit up for as long as you like) plus 12 DIL sockets £3 for 30 so there's another £8
A lump of stripboard to fix all the bits to £3
A box to put it all in £5
A drum of alarm cable (signal from PIR) and a load of 2 core bell wire £25 (outputs to steps).
A nice beefy 12v PSU (proper one with copper in it) £35 or so once you've stuck a bridge rec and a cap on it. (The cheapo switch mode ones may struggle with the load variations)
An hour or 2 learning how to program the controller
A day putting the circuit card together
Another day fitting the lamps to the staircase
So if you're doing it yourself the controller, cable, power supplies etc will cost £120 and a couple of days of your life and however much you want to spend on lamps
Have fun

This reminds me of a Contraption I had to build many years ago (198 something cough splutter). Director wanted a MASSIVE sign covered in Pygmy lamps spelling out the name of the show (CABARET), he wanted them to chase letter by letter then the whole thing to flash on and off and then back to the beginning.
We could have put it on the lighting desk but there was no automatic chase facility on it so some poor sod would have to sit there for 45 minutes (while audience were coming in) pressing the GO button every second. So I got told I was building a Device.
Cue 555 timer, 4017 chip, a bag of diodes and a load of triacs (mains lamps). Built it all nicely in a box (triacs are interesting, 240v gets where you don't really want it), tested it on single lamps- seemed to work OK, got the speed about right. Connected it to the proper sign (which was massive- about 30 lamps per letter, festoon wire and holders are so handy). Power on- ooooh look, isn't it pretty. And then it started chasing faster. And then this nasty burning smell became apparent, along with smoke out of the box. And before we had time to kill the power the thing self-destructed. Post mortem showed one of the triacs was not perfectly insulated from the heatsink, on test load the fault didn't show but on full load, 300w at 240v was looking for a home and found it on the 12v rail of the transformer.
Could have been a disaster until the old stage manager dragged out a Thing that used to power the sign at the front of the building- 10 mercury switches and a motor driven cam. Worked beautifully.

Informative and entertaining but slightly out of my depth due to the complexity of what you have described! Might have to leave it to the pros

Those little Arduino controllers look interesting- haven't really dabbled in electronics for some years so their existence is well worth remembering.

If you're going to be bored over Christmas (and are familiar with a soldering iron) then faking up a test piece (with LEDs on the output rails of the controller), learning how to program the thing and generally playing might give you a gentle intro to the concepts. The rest of it is really just solid state relays.

Sponsored Links
Back