crimpimg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
After reading on here if I had to join a couple of wires anything from 1mm to 4mm I assume its best to crimp them using a ratchet crimper and the correct size crimps, but what crimps are best to use, for example, just a straight connector or the male and female bullet type.
I ask this because when I put my swa cable over to the garage (4mm) I had to join it to a short piece of 4mm T&E to reach the cu, I used a 30amp connector block but as I said after reading on here should I have used crimps.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the helpful reply. I take it I have done something very wrong for you to be so shocked, maybe if you explained a bit better I could rectify the problem.

Yeah just a bit, sounds like a bodge job, I bet you havnt earthed the armour?

If you needed to extend the swa you should have terminated using an appropriate SWA gland to an adaptable box making sure you have earthed the armouring via the banjo then connect from the adaptable box to your CU using your T+E.

Sponsored Links
I did terminate with the correct gland into a ip rated box and yes i did earth the Armour, but as I said I had to extend the cable to reach the cu so I used a 30amp connector block, but would I have been better crimping them together, or is there a special box I should have terminated the cable into that already has the connectors in it

4mm SWA can take 38A clipped direct. If its XLPE it can take 49A clipped direct. 4mm T+E can take 36A clipped direct. I would have used 60A conector block in case you put it on a 32A breaker. If you have put the conector block inside the adaptable box then thats fine.

Most of these adaptable boxes especially the IP rated ones have teminals inside them

BTW crimping is used when your cable joint is not accessible as junciton boxes or connector block (screw teminals) will loosen over time. If your box is accesible i.e. not buried or under the floor then your ok.

Thanks for the info, I will look for a 60 amp terminal block to replace the 30 amp one

If your cable is out the way bud then it would have been better to put a resin joint over it.

they give you the full works to make sure its a proper job.

60A term block available at TLC

Only use thru crimps. bullet and and socket crimps are not allowed on main voltage!

Thanks Taylortwocities you answered my question on the crimps.
I must admit I thought the first reply I had was pointless, I came on here to get some info to make sure I had done a safe job, and what was the first reply, a smilie, even the second reply seemed very flippant to me. If I had not expressed myself correctly then I apologize, but the reason people like me come on this site is to learn from you experts, and make sure we do not do anything dangerous to others as well as ourselves. I do not wish to offend anyone, but we do not all understand "sparky talk" I thought I had phrased my question well, but obversely I did not, as one person said "it sounds like a bodge job" and "he bet I had not earthed the armour" although I cannot figure out how he could tell that from my question.
Once again I apologize
Thanks for the help

thespook said:
Thanks Taylortwocities you answered my question on the crimps.
I must admit I thought the first reply I had was pointless, I came on here to get some info to make sure I had done a safe job, and what was the first reply, a smilie, even the second reply seemed very flippant to me. If I had not expressed myself correctly then I apologize, but the reason people like me come on this site is to learn from you experts, and make sure we do not do anything dangerous to others as well as ourselves. I do not wish to offend anyone, but we do not all understand "sparky talk" I thought I had phrased my question well, but obversely I did not, as one person said "it sounds like a bodge job" and "he bet I had not earthed the armour" although I cannot figure out how he could tell that from my question.
Once again I apologize
Thanks for the help

Its just friendly banter spook don't be to alarmed, BTW it was me who said it looks like a bodge job :LOL: but I did reconcile that by giving you all the current ratings and guidance on connector block ratings and when to crimp and when not to crimp so their you go, You got the thumbs down initially as you didn't fully explain what you had done, you simply said you had connected SWA to T&E with a connector block no mention of adaptable box or using a gland etc. Best to give the full details or you will get moaned at but like I say its part of the forum banter. Please feel free to have a moan back :)

Taylortwocities said:
]
Only use thru crimps. bullet and and socket crimps are not allowed on main voltage!
Hmm the parts catalogs i have certainly list them as rated for mains and blade recepticles are used for mains stuff inside equipment quite a lot.

Do you know of any reg prohibiting use of them in mains wiring?

IF they are appropriately rated then no problem but the point of my comment, in the context of the post, was that if you use crimps you do not need to make the joint accessible as the connection is considered permanent.

I would contend that a bullet & socket crimp set is not permanent and, if you use that, then you would have to leave the joint available for inspection.

plugwash said:
Taylortwocities said:
]
Hmm the parts catalogs i have certainly list them as rated for mains and blade recepticles are used for mains stuff inside equipment quite a lot.

The joint between bullet and socket is not "gas tight" so corrosion can occur and reduce the contact area until a high resistance heat generating joint is created.

Crimped joints when properly crimped have a cold welded ( friction / compression weld ) area which is gas tight and therefore corrosion into the area is unlikely. The rest of the metal can be corroded but the welded area maintains a good connection.

plugwash said:
Taylortwocities said:
]

Reg 526-04-01: Except for the following every connection or joint shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance:

(iii) a joint made by welding, soldering, brazing or compression tool

Since a bullet and socket crimp connection is not made by a compression tool (the crimped male and female parts are, the joint is not) it would have to therefore be accessible - Taylortwocities point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back