Crimped connections in floor void

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to use the above method to join some 2.5T&E. I intend on using red butt connectors and a ratchet crimper to carry out the connections. Would it be acceptable to place the joint inside a choc box an refit the floorboards or should I just wrap the crimped connections in self amalgamating tape? I like the idea of the choc box as the cable clamps in the box would prevent the crimps being strained. Your guidance is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Blue connectors are used on 2.5mm, red connectors on 1-1.5mm.
You can also cover it with heat shrink sleeving, but putting it in a choc-block is a good idea.

Thanks luminaire. Can I ask, why heatshrink instead of amalgamating tape?

Also, is there a particular colour/type or size of heatshrink I should use and should I heatshrink the individual conductors or all three in one go?

Thanks once again.

llama said:
Thanks luminaire. Can I ask, why heatshrink instead of amalgamating tape?

Also, is there a particular colour/type or size of heatshrink I should use and should I heatshrink the individual conductors or all three in one go?

Thanks once again.

Do them individually in the same colour. You can then wrap them in the amalgamating tape or use a choc-block.

Sponsored Links
I thought that heatshrink was used to reinstate the missing outer sheath of the cable, to provide a 'double insulated' joint.

The advantage of heatshrink over tapi is it will not dry out and fall off, or cover your hands in horrible sticky residue in a few years time.

afaict you need to maintain double insulation all along. so if your crimps are pre-insulated covering the whole joint in one layer is all you need. OTOH if the crimps aren't insulated you need BOTH a layer over each individual crimp and one over the whole joint.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I have insulated crimps and a ratchet crimper. I get the impression that the self amalgamating tape is to be avoided if at all possible. I didn't like the idea of it anyway but I don't fancy heatshrink much either. I can't imagine it looking very pretty! Shame I can't use a nice tidy JB.

So to clarify, it will be acceptable if I do the following:
1. Crimp the 2.5 using insulated blue butt connectors.
2. Crimp the cpc using insulated red butt connectors.
3. Then heatshrink all three connections with one layer of heatshrink.
And optionally;
4. Enclose the whole lot in a choc box.

Thanks.

if you enclose everything in a chockbox you don't need the heatshrink.

Cheers plugwash. That's great news. I know some folk don't like the choc boxes but in this instance I'd rather use one of them than heatshrink, so long as it meets the regs.

Once again thanks to everyone who replied. I am a diy'er who is slowly improving my family home and I really appreciate you all taking the time to give advice on this forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back