Crimp connections

Sponsored Links
Ah, thanks for that. Looks like I'll be taken em back then :)

While on the subject of crimps (and apologies for hijacking the post - although it is related), is it ok to crimp more than one wire in a single crimp? i.e. 2 in, 2 out.

Are these crimps ok for the job?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/60547...Ratchet-Crimping-Tool-for-1-5sq-mm-to-16sq-mm

They don't have colour coded slots but seem to do a decent job on butt crimps. Wires are held solidly.

The items that you have linked to are for crimping uninsulated copper tube lugs not the Red,Blue & Yellow PIDG type of colour coded crimps.

I recently bought a pair of these for occasional home use , (in my case for installing better earthing and bonding conductors) and in this respect when the correct size lug is used with the correct size wire they work extremely well. They are pre set at the factory but can also be fine tuned and adjusted by the owner/user. How long they would last in a commercial envoroment i can't comment on, some people look after their tool better than others

Sponsored Links
While on the subject of crimps (and apologies for hijacking the post - although it is related), is it ok to crimp more than one wire in a single crimp? i.e. 2 in, 2 out.

Absoloutly NOT!!

Crimps are for single wires only, and nothing else.

You could solder the connection & sleeve over it, rather than crimping.

Absoloutly NOT!!

Crimps are for single wires only, and nothing else.

Just purely out of genuine interest. Is this against regulations for domestic/industrial installations, or is it just considered bad practice in these envoironments ?

Probably against BS7671:2008 (IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition) due to non compliance with manufactures instructions.

Not to mention security of the connection.

I wouldn't trust through crimps for anything other than, well, through crimping!

Also, if you start making junctions with crimps, inspect and test gets very interesting, oh, did I say interesting? I meant a ballache.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back