Crimp connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm joining 2 x 2.5mm t&e together using crimp butt connectors. Having never done a crimp join before.....

Should I be using blue or yellow, I see both except 2.5mm cable?

Should the wires overlap inside the connector? This isn't possible in the blue but is in the yellow.

When testing the connection, just how firm should you be able to pull the wires apart before the connection fails?

Sponsored Links
From what I remember you need the Blue ones.
The Yellow ones are far too big.

But then I'm not a sparkie & one will be along shortly to say I've been a numptie & tell you the correct answer :D

BTW you need the ratchet crimpers for this, not the wimpy ones you get for using them on cars, they are really not upto the job.

Use BLUE crimps. The wires should NOT overlap. they should just BUTT together. The description BUTT connectors give a clue :D

ALSO... DO NOT use the cheap hand crimp pliers sold for DIY automotive work. they are just not up to the job of crimping to the required compression. Use a ratchet type crimping tool. Expensive but will last years and you want to do the job properly don't you?

Oh! and some heat shrink sleeving over the joints is advisable too.
Regards
FB

Blue is best for 2.5 mm
yellow for 4mm and 6mm
red for 1.5mm
red for the 1.5 mm earth which is in 2.5 mm T+E cable

Sponsored Links
Use BLUE crimps. The wires should NOT overlap. they should just BUTT together. The description BUTT connectors give a clue :D

ALSO... DO NOT use the cheap hand crimp pliers sold for DIY automotive work. they are just not up to the job of crimping to the required compression. Use a ratchet type crimping tool. Expensive but will last years and you want to do the job properly don't you?

Oh! and some heat shrink sleeving over the joints is advisable too.
Regards
FB

I've got a cheap DIY crimp (the same as my electrician has). Done and few tests and it seems ok. Might invest in a better one.

Once the joint is done, is it normal for there to be a little play in the wires? I can just wiggle each wire a little and feel it moving every so slightly.

I can also feel the same little waggle with the crimp joins my electrician has done.

I've got a cheap DIY crimp (the same as my electrician has).

That is very worrying

Done and few tests and it seems ok.

It isn't

Might invest in a better one.

You really should

Once the joint is done, is it normal for there to be a little play in the wires? I can just wiggle each wire a little and feel it moving every so slightly.

NO!

That is because you have not used proper crimpers. This is a high resistance joint, which WILL over heat and fail, and maybe even burn your house down.

I can also feel the same little waggle with the crimp joins my electrician has done.

Sack him

I've got a cheap DIY crimp (the same as my electrician has). Done and few tests and it seems ok. Might invest in a better one.

If you can "wiggle" the joint then IMHO it's not tight enough, hence the need for the proper tool for the job.
If your electrician has used the simple hand crimper then he should know better.

Regards
FB

I'm joining 2 x 2.5mm t&e together using crimp butt connectors. Having never done a crimp join before.....

Should I be using blue or yellow, I see both except 2.5mm cable?

Should the wires overlap inside the connector? This isn't possible in the blue but is in the yellow.

When testing the connection, just how firm should you be able to pull the wires apart before the connection fails?

Mark you should not be attempting wireing unless you are part P :D :D :D

These joints you are making, are they for 240v cables in your house?
If so then dump them and sack your spark.
Get a new spark, new cable if you don't have enough for a continuos run or some proper junction boxes for Gods sake!
As stated previously, a high resistance joint will cause a fire and burn your house down, not to mention potentially kill someone!

But there is nothing wrong with crimps, providing they are properly fitted.

They create a better joint than a junction box does, but they have to be done properly.

you need a ratchet crimper, I doubt you will get one that's any good for less than £20. Avoid "Silverline" or unbranded ones on market stalls or cheap shops.

then you can practice with a handful of crimps and some odd wire

there are some instructions on "how to crimp" on here somewhere

also work out how to release the ratchet if you get something caught.

edited:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70630&highlight=crimp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back