Crimping question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looking at some crimping tools. Do they generally prevent over crimping? It has different holes to use for each size. There's no mention on the packaging

Sponsored Links
A good quality ratchet crimper will not over - crimp (unless you use the wrong jaw !). Don't go for the manual automotive type ones.

Just a thought. Would it be ok to connect the 10mm earth to the clamp without a lug? Or is that a bit too 2nd rate or sub standard?

Sponsored Links
Doesn't anyone solder cables any more? If I want a good joint I always use a soldering iron. In my younger days in automotive electrics, the soldering iron was in almost constant use!

Nope no one solders any more. There's no need. Crimped on lugs provide a perfectly sound permanant connection, and they are much quicker and easier to do.

Doesn't anyone solder cables any more? If I want a good joint I always use a soldering iron. In my younger days in automotive electrics, the soldering iron was in almost constant use!

Depends what sort of cable... no one would make a soldered joint in a 2.5 twin and earth for example, it it would require a lot of cheath and insulation removed in order to have the two conductors running side by side for a sufficent distance to acheive mechanically satsifactory joint.

I solder joints in alarm cables though and other small signal cables

to have the two conductors running side by side for a sufficent distance to acheive mechanically satsifactory joint.
Never rely on the solder for making the mechanical joint, the mechanical strength / lack of movement between the conductor should be achieved by wrapping or similar means BEFORE the joint is soldered. The solder provides the electrical joint.

to have the two conductors running side by side for a sufficent distance to acheive mechanically satsifactory joint.
Never rely on the solder for making the mechanical joint, the mechanical strength / lack of movement between the conductor should be achieved by wrapping or similar means BEFORE the joint is soldered. The solder provides the electrical joint.

The good old Brittania Joint - the first practical thing I ever did at college ;)

The solder provides the electrical joint.
Not even that according to previous discussions.

Apparently it should be mechanically and electrically sound before soldering.
It was deduced that the solder stopped oxidisation at the joints of the conductors.

Apparently it should be mechanically and electrically sound before soldering.
It was deduced that the solder stopped oxidisation at the joints of the conductors.
Moot point but yes copper to copper with a gas tight and conductive cloak of tin and lead alloy would be the near perfect joint. Where the copper is oxidised at the area(s) of contact the flux lifts the oxide layer the cloak makes the gas tight connection.

A crimp joint when not done properly can end up with two oxidised copper surfaces pressed together with very little copper to copper contact. A connection which is not gas tight and may continue to corrode. A gas tight joint is made when one or more edges of the metal of the crimp sleeve is driven into the copper cutting through the oxide layer and making a cold weld between the two metals.

Gas tight meaning impossible for oxygen and other reactive gases in the air to reach the contact area.

Not even that according to previous discussions. Apparently it should be mechanically and electrically sound before soldering. It was deduced that the solder stopped oxidisation at the joints of the conductors.
Indeed so. As I've said in those previous discussions, that's certainly how us I 'brung up' :)

Kind Regards, John.

Aren't soldered joints susceptible to the heat that may be generated under fault conditions?

Aren't soldered joints susceptible to the heat that may be generated under fault conditions?
Yes they are. Very slow acting fuses in equipment can be made by arranging for over heating components to de-solder themselves from the PCB and drop clear thus breaking the circuit.

Other fuses use a blob of solder over a thinned section of the fuse wire to create a "snap" action. If the thick section of the wire gets hot enough for the solder to melt then the thinned section takes all the current when the solder drops aways and blows very quickly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back