Critical choice of uPVC bubble/flipper gasket profile??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been looking at replacing some perished uPVC door and window gaskets, and taken aback by the *huge* range of types available.

Would I be horribly incorrect in assuming that if the barbed rubber 'arrow' section is the right size to fit in the slot, and the bubble or flipper sections are about the right size, that it will do the same job?

Does it really matter if I replace bubble+flipper, with bubble only or flipper only, or even multi-flipper profiles? For the external seal, does it matter which way the flipper faces?

Or is the correct replacement critical in 1) the thing closing properly, and 2) getting a draft-free and weather-proof seal?

Given a >10:1 price range (I have seen 38p to over £4 per metre online), I hope this explains my motivation for the question.

Sponsored Links
You can get a sample pack of different profiles, I got mine online from GB Diy store for a couple of quid and compared them to what I had

Yup - I've seen those. While a 4" sample is sufficient to check that it fits in the mounting groove, is it really enough to know 1) the door will fully close with 2) the appropriate level of sealing, with 5 metres or so on all four sides?

My question was really about any differences in the styles for the two things I mention, assuming it fits in the mounting groove and is about the right size.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would say you cant go wrong with a bubble gasket.
Sample packs available from ebay for 99p.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back