Cross Cut End grain splits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to start a project making a door from some softwood bead and butt t@g panelling, the wood will be finished rather than painted so I need some advice on how to stop the end grain splitting out when cutting the panels to length.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Stanley Jet Cut Handsaw will cut the end grain very clean, see here, you can get one of these for £10 in Homebase.

you can cut the line with a stanley knife first

or use a sacrafisial bit off wood

if you are using a circular or table saw set the blade to come through by about 2mm [1 tooth]

if your using a jigsaw use a splinterguard

Thanks for all your replies, I cut the grain through with a stanley as suggested and my splitting nightmares are over, even when using my mitre saw.

Isn't it easy when you know how !!

Sponsored Links
its a general 10% day on thursday, so even you with your youthful looks will be ok masona :LOL:

Ahh! I though you have to have a OAP card on Wednesday only, well that's what my mum's told me :!:

as much as i hate the sheds, they seem to have one once a month, and they are not to badly priced on some items, making stocking up on things like the stanley stuff worthwhile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back