Cross threading.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently changed the element on a cylinder, and now its started leaking...if I have cross threaded it can anything be done about this or is it a new cylinder?

The cylinder isnt that old 2007 but its a really hard water area and the element has been changed quite alot and the thread was a bit gunged up, I tried to clear it out as much as poss before fitting the new one but obviously not enough!

Please help, im reluctant to buy a new cylinder as its not that old!

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Its not likely that you have cross threaded it but the chances are the fibre seal isnt seated properly thus you are having a small leak

Remove it once again,get new fibre washer make sure the mating faces are clean,using some sand paper to clean them properly,making absolutely certain they 100% clean then refit,fill the cylinder then do the final tightening

This will stop the leak,failing that get proper plumber in who can sort it out one time

Sponsored Links
some people use Fernox LSX or similar, it is a sort of quick-setting silicone rubber that will seal joints. However it is not so easy to take them apart afterwards, and quite difficult to clean off the joint when you want to remake it.

BTW immersion heaters tend to sieze in place, it might be worth winding PTFE tape tound the thread to prevent this for next time, even though the thread is not meant to be the sealing joint (the fibre washer is).

I use silicone grease on the threads to lubricate them and on both sides of the sealing washer to reduce friction.

Tony

sounds like a good idea. How many years have you found it keeps them from seizing?

I have only been doing it for about 12 years so its a little early to know!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back