Crosswater shower valve only producing tepid water

Hi annaX,

I have the same problem with my thermostatic crosswater valve, and wondered whether you managed to solve your problem, aside from turning up the temperature of the hot water?

Would be grateful if you could share your experience.
Thanks

Hi annax
I have the same problem. I have two bathrooms both supplied from a pressurized system (no pumps).
When I first came across this problem I swapped the internal cartriges over and the problem moved over. So contacted crosswater and they supplied a new cartrige. Problem solved Both showers now run hot.
unfortunatley I now have the same problem on the shower with the old cartridge. I wondered if the cartriges have a design fault. It seem pointless renewing this cartrige only for it to re-occur.

Sponsored Links
I have installed two Hudson Reed concealed shower mixers in our bathrooms (both use the Crosswater DC70T). The first died when an over enthusiastic teenager tried to turn it off when the shower was still drippping. It was in warranty and I bought a replacement just when a new warranty one arrived. I stripped the old one as it had the wrong spline combination and made one good one. The mechanism is made of hard plastic and does not seem very robust to me.
That one failed again in the same way a couple of weeks ago and I used the warranty one.
To go back to the OP the same (cold only) happened to me with a brand new one that I installed in our en-suite (we like the simple aesthetics of the Hudson Reed and reasoned that us grown ups would be more careful!) and the manufacturers sent me another by return which works well. In our area we have very hard water and our water softener died a couple of months ago. I suspect that is getting in the mechanism.
I would really like to see a more robust cartridge (there must be many others having the same issues as they are currently out of stock everywhere!) but for now I will have to buy and keep a spare for when the next one goes down.
Caveat emptor....................

Whats it running on, combi?

Me or OP?

Ours are both tank fed (different ends of the house and different tanks), each with dedicated cold take off from cold tanks and I fitted surrey flanges to each tank for hot feed (prep for pump assist if needed).
There are filters on the inlets (as supplied).
My concern is the internal design with what is basically a brittle plastic in the valve mechanism that is fragile and can be broken quite easily, the one that came from the suppliers broken demonstrated that. Next job is replacing the 15 year old water softener..........
To be fair to suppliers they have been good about replacements but it does suggest that they are aware of a problem, or simply very good at honouring their warranty.

Sponsored Links
Yeah you lol
So you have the brown coloured cartridge, not aware of an ongoing issue with that cartridge at all. (I have the inside knowledge)
Most of the issues with cartridges normally come down to the system not being flushed through or limescale.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back