Crusher hire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Clearing site for 2 storey extension which I hope to get out of the ground myself. Knocking down a brick garage and was planning on getting rid of all the bricks but wondered if it's actually worth keeping them and hiring a crusher to use them and save on hardcore below the slab or to fill the soakaway. Not checked with bco on that yet in terms of whether it would be up to scratch as not booked first inspection yet, but if I can get an idea on here first it would be much appreciated as always
Cheers
John

Sponsored Links
That's what I did. I only knocked down a coal shed and a couple of small walls and I ended up with more crushed material than I needed. I also chucked in all the rocks that came out the ground when digging the footings. Was very satisfying to not need a skip and to not bring more material onto site. Saved barrowing waste to the front then barrowing mot in. Only issue was hiring the machine. Really struggled to find one in the South West. The material it produced was of excellent quality

Thanks mate so did you not use mot at all and building inspector happy with just using the material from the crusher? I'm not sure where you break even with the cost vs how much you need as they don't seem cheap

Crusher hire is really expensive for what it is, you'll also need a digger on site as well to load it.
Last time I used one of the small red rhino ones it cost us £600.
Cost it up I know it may seem stupid to take it away and bring it back but sometimes it's cheaper.

You can just lay the bricks down and fill the gaps with 1" down and not crush them if it's for a drive ect.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, so I might just keep enough for the soakaway I reckon and get rid of the rest, but I'll see what bco says

Thanks mate so did you not use mot at all and building inspector happy with just using the material from the crusher? I'm not sure where you break even with the cost vs how much you need as they don't seem cheap
I didn't buy any mot. In fact I had some left over which is now under a friend's new shed. Building inspector was fine although I probably could have chucked anything under there but it really did produce a nice finished product. Cost was about £300 (but I got a good deal) so did work out a little cheaper than skips an mot and better environmentally. Loaded by hand. Hard work but not as hard as barrowing it twice and it was a very satisfying day.

I have been looking at these as I will have a lot of onsite material that could pottentially be reused during our building works. We have a lot of retaining walls that are faced with something we want to remove which is made of concrete, plus a retaining wall coming fully out.. I found that Jewson hire have them:

http://www.jewson.co.uk/tool-hire/earth-moving/loaders/products/6724/mini-crusher/

At £400 a day I think I would struggle to break even. I think an 18 Tonne grab load is £250 for removal here. I think we would easily have that much material and obviously the environmental side is much better - I however don't know if I wil need that much material when finished I could do but not sure so could still end up paying for someone to remove materials anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back