A few questions about the prep for my garage base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, first post here - hello!

A bit of background: I'm having a large prefab garage built (4.4m wide, 11.6m long), the only prerequisite being that I have a prepared flat base for them to build it on. Of course, the ground work and base is where all the money goes....

I've had an architect involved who has been engaging with Building Control and a structural engineer for me, and I have a builder who is going to do the shuttering and concrete pour (I really don't want that to go wrong, and if it does, I want someone else to be responsible!!) :)

The garden has a steady fall along the length of the new garage of about 600mm over the 11.6 m length. The ground is chalk, then sandy clay with flint. The engineer suggested either strip footings or mass fill. We've gone for mass fill. The engineer speced that no hardcore subbase was required, but that the top 150mm of organic material should be scrappled back and then the base poured on top of that. My builder prefered the idea of a subbase, as did I, and besides I need to get rid of the old garage, so we've gone down 300mm and will put down 150mm of subbase, blinding sand, DPM and then the pour.

The bed is now all dug out and squared off and I have a crusher coming in the next day or two to crush the old garage and base.

So, some questions:

Does it matter what sand I use for blinding, or will the cheapest be fine?
How thick should the blinding layer be?
How small should I crush my hardcore?

Sponsored Links
Soft sand/building sand.
About an inch.
Tennis ball sized/or quarter brick. Top off the last couple of inches with mot to even out any 'jaggies' before the sand.

Any mesh?

Soft sand/building sand.
About an inch.
Tennis ball sized/or quarter brick. Top off the last couple of inches with mot to even out any 'jaggies' before the sand.

Any mesh?

Thanks, Deluks :) Sand ordered.

Yes, mesh is going in the top 150mm of concrete. The concrete will be 150mm deep at the shallow end, but about 750mm at the deep end. Not sure of the spec of the mesh - the architect / engineer / builder have that under control.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, quite possibly so. Just following the spec from the architect and engineer.

Hmmm, quite possibly so. Just following the spec from the architect and engineer.

No architect or engineer will spec a garage base at 750mm deep fill concrete. (At least we hope not).
If you took an average of 450mm thick concrete over the whole area you are up to 23 m3 concrete

Would suggest you go back to arch and engineer and ask where you are not reading spec correctly.

At that depth you should have had a strip and brick footing.
oldun.

No architect or engineer will spec a garage base at 750mm deep fill concrete. (At least we hope not).

Definitely got the spec right. Been over it with him more times than l care to mention.

BCO is due over tomorrow (should have been today but he never materialised). Will get his opinion too then. would love to use less concrete and I'm not short of rubble!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back