Garage base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm building a garage and parking area wondered if anyone had any advice as to depth/materials etc for the base and footings. The garage will be 4.5 x 5.5m, block built with a timber and felt monopitch roof. The parking area will be 4.5 x 4.5m

For the concrete foundations for the walls I was going to dig down to a depth of 600mm. For the parking area and garage floor I was going to use 150mm of hardcore and 150mm of concrete with reinforcing grid (I think this is what it’s called?).

Anyone think this is ok or not? If not what would you recommned? Also some people have said I should put 50mm of sand on the hardcore to stop the DPC being punctured and others have said don’t bother. Needless to say I’m a bit confused.

Any help/ advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
under b.c. regulations builders are expected to dig down a minimum of 1000mm, though at times this can seem a little excessive.

once down to solid virgin ground, you should be ok.

if its clay, go the full 1000mm.

beware of drain pipes and services.

150mm compacted hardcore is ok but do use 50mm sand blinding before laying the d.p.m.

yes, you can include some reinforcing mesh in the slab, though not all jobs or situations specify it. it's not a pre-requisite.

Thanks for the advice.

The local council have told me the garage is too small to come under building regulations so I can do what I like! Is 1000m essential? Only I'm quite happy to dig down to that depth if I have to but didn't want to if there was no need.

let common sense and ground conditions dictate the footing depth

also, bear in mind, the thickness of concrete you wish to lay and how much soil cover you want above.

Sponsored Links
noseall said:
under b.c. regulations builders are expected to dig down a minimum of 1000mm, though at times this can seem a little excessive.
Garages under 30 sq/m are not subject to BC; I would have though 600mm would be ample as long as there are no trees nearby!

900mm is about minimum for strip/trench footings to get below the frost zone. You may be better off making it a raft slab and tying the slab in with the footings by thickening the edge where the walls will sit.

Thanks for all the advice.

There is a large laurel tree about 10m away. Do you think this is a safe distance?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back