Cryptic Clues

I've been looking at an anagram of abhimana (Hindu Pride) + C (for Catholic), but the only word I can see that resembles anything to do with twister is 'maniac' and that leaves abh.
Twister, of course could be a cheater, a tongue-twister, a story-teller, etc.

I don't know about anyone else, El Capitano, but I'm ready for a hint.

Sponsored Links
Still no idea. Is it time for another hint?
I suspect that the word 'did' needs to be added to the word 'mada', (otherwise the clue could have been written simply as 'twisting Hindu Pride'),but then that leaves two more letters to be found from somewhere. One could be C for catholic. The other ? Then an anagram of the whole for a word for twister.
Or the clue might refer to some specific catholic word.
But what catholic twister is, I've no idea.

Maybe the clue is obscure rather than cryptic.

Blup

Sponsored Links
So we're looking for a catholic specific word that is an anagram of 'mada' + some 5 letter word for twisting in the technical sense?

Words for twisting in the technical sense: coils, wound, braid, turns, spring
paradigms?
But then the clue would have to be in the plural, i.e. twisters. Also I wouldn't have thought that paradigm is a catholic specific word.

I suppose there is an alternative, the catholic is simply to add the letter 'C', for the answer.
In which case we're looking for a 9 letter word for twister, in the technical sense, made up of an anagram of 'mada+c+'a 4 letter word in the clue', which would be 'make' or 'this'.

Or the catholic is to add 'RC', in which case it could be mada+rc+did, because I still can't see why the 'did' is included.

I still can't see any way to form an answer..

Oh **** **** **** ****

I cant count.

Its 10 letters.

Sorry sorry sorry.

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Oh, that's OK, it's only 3 days of brain power wasted!!!!!!!
It's a good job I don't lie awake in bed thinking about the clue!

Oh, that's OK, it's only 3 days of brain power wasted!!!!!!!
R.6e5694fa24d6dfe07f9681f0ab154cfa

It's a good job I don't lie awake in bed thinking about the clue!
The clue is the same :sneaky:

A big wind up (10). Wind = twist, plus a few spare letters..... the forum gives up.

Blup

My thoughts were that it was not easy, but not impossible, and my intention was not to produce an impossible one.

Ive only ever been on the solving side of cryptic clues before - Id never thought about the problem that when you set a clue you know exactly how it works and cant put yourself in the other persons position any more. Well - I guess you can once youre an expert setter, but that aint me.

Ill put the answer here in a spoiler, then it is up to each of you (it seems to be only you and Angel doing this one) to decide if/when to give up.

I would ask that whoever reads the answer say nothing about it lest the other still wants to puzzle over it.

Torquemada.

Torque - as a verb means to apply a twisting force.
Mada - in Hindu theology means pride or stubborn mindedness.

Tomás de Torquemada was the Grand Inquisitor of the Spanish Inquisition (I know - you werent expecting that :ROFLMAO:) which under his watch tortured and executed thousands of people. Im no theologian, but that seems to me to be a pretty twisted interpretation of the teachings of Jesus Christ.

After spending so much time on the original, I couldn't face the thought of starting all over again, so I'm gonna look at the spoiler.

Apparently the answer is also a pen name of a famous cryptic crossword compiler.

Sponsored Links
Back