Cupboard door out of sheet...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to cut an access door out of the middle of a sheet of 12mm mdf. What is the best way of achieving this? Jigsaw would obviously give a narrow cut but not sure I could keep the blade straight enough, would anyone suggest using a router with something like a 2mm cutter?

Many thanks,

David.

Sponsored Links
how about fix a "template" to the mdf and hold your jigsaw tight to it?

by template i mean 4 "bits of wood" screwed to the mdf in a square / oblong shape then when hole cut remove them

the same as brezzer but use a router--fix four battens (square required)allow for the size of the tooling plus the base of the router, gentle plunge to deph and away you go .....sounds easy eh

Sponsored Links
the easy way ;)

cut the full hinge side and 2" of the connecting edge
affix piano hinge to the slot youve just cut
finnish cutting out the hatch
if you use a jigsaw carefully you can plunge through the wood by holding it firmly on the nose and gradualy tip untill it peirces the wood then cut as normal
if your door has rounded corners you only have to plunge once
the other way is to drill 2 holes in diagonaly opposite corners and cut out another bit of wood for the hatch door

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back