Hinging a flush door? What hinge and how to do it neatly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to have a push to open door with no handle.

The door will be a cut out of a large sheet of laminated mdf and i have carefully cut the door out of the sheet in order to keep the grain looking right.

I don't want to attach a frame of any kind so am looking for ideas on how best to hinge the door so there is no hinge showing on the outside.

It will appear much like the picture below but obviously i wanted something simple if possible.

http://www.hallmann-sales.com/images/access-doors/UF5500_large.gif

My last request is that the hinge be mounted on the back face of the door and the panel as this will give the strongest fixing. Its only 12mm MDF so fixing into the side of the door will be dubious.

Is this possible?

Just struggling to get my head around how it could be done.

Sponsored Links
Bit back to front, should determine the hinge before choosing a material to thin to accept it.
Many hinges will fix to rear but you will need to add timber to rear to achieve a good fixing.
At 12mm more likely to warp, need at least 15mm laminated [17mm]to avoid warpage and thicker to take hinge ideally 18mm [20mm].

I know but its for a camper van so 12mm is the limit really for overall weight.

All ideas or reality checks welcome

Would have though a touch catch in a confined space would have the door opening every time you brush past.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back