Cupboard under stairs concrete floor possible damp issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
J0IDQyf

5hQTolF.jpg

https://imgur.com/5hQTolF

For info it's a terraced house, gas pipes to the meter are in this space.

Cupboard under stairs was full of stuff, mostly standing on the floor. I noticed salt crystals on lower bricks and paint flaking, also mold on outer walls (left).
I should have taken a before pic, but this is after tidying it all up, scraping the flaking paint off the wall, and taking up what was a carpet on the floor.
There seemed to be damp patches under the carpet, and the underlay for carpet was quite stuck to the concrete, but not long after tidying the patches seemed to have gone.

I'm just wondering if its due to bad circulation of air, it was pretty crammed, there isn't an air brick in here, so lack of air circulation. But also wonder if damp may be creeping up walls a bit?
Apart from a few bricks which had a bit of a crumbling surface, they are fine now I've taken the loose surface off, there isn't any other signs of real damp damage.

I'm wondering how best to prepare the floor to minimise damp issues again, ideally to put vinyl down on top of underlay due to it being quite rough concrete currently, but could do self-levelling compound and then paint floor?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
is that an old water pipe coming up through the floor?

have you got an outside stopcock?

do you know a young person with sharp hearing?

Sponsored Links
is that an old water pipe coming up through the floor?

No its the piping to the gas meter that is also in this space.

tell me about the outside stopcock and the young person.

and what is on the other side of each of the three walls?

best course to find the source of the water and repair it.

Thats part of the mystery, not sure if water is actually seeping in from underneath, or there's just bad air circulation? This space is off the kitchen, so cooking steam etc could well get trapped in here.

tell me about the outside stopcock and the young person.
what is on the other side of each of the three walls?

There aren't any water pipes near this space, only gas pipes. The outside stopcock is the other side of the house.
To the left is the outside (this wall had some mold on it and the most flaking paint on bricks.
To the right is living room.
The place I'm standing to take picture is kitchen.

does the water pipe enter the house in the ground? therefore in or under the floor?

OK, I appreciate that you are convinced that unwanted water in the floor cannot be coming from a leaking water pipe or drain.

But it usually does.

Sometimes it is due to a source on the other side of the wall.

When you find out about the stopcock and the young person we can go further.

does the water pipe enter the house in the ground?

Mains water pipe enters house from front, this is also where stopcock is. At least 6 metres away from this space. This space is on the side of the house, where a driveway is located.
There is drainage running under this drive to the main road.
Most of house is wooden floorboards with water pipes running underneath. This floor is concrete for some reason. The boiler was replaced not too long ago and I'm pretty sure no pipes go under this concrete.

As for a young person, I'm unable to source one I'm afraid. The floor doesn't feel or seem damp now everything is out of there.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back