Damp patches on carpet on hallway floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wondered if anyone could suggest what might be causing our problem...

There are 3 damp patches on the carpet on our hallway floor. All of these are away from external doors and walls. Two extend from an internal door in to an internal garage, although the floor level in the hallway is higher that the level in the garage, and there are no signs of damp patches on the garage floor. The third patch extends from the bottom of where the stairs bannister rises from the hallway.

Underneath the carpet there appears to be a tiled floor, which feels clammy to the touch where the damp patches are. Then there is underlay and then the carpet. By the stairs patch the tiles appear to be broken and there is an area of stones and rubble underneath where the stairs meet the floor, which is covered by the carpet.

There was no sign of this damp when we moved in 2 years ago and it has slowly appeared over the last year or so, and seems to smell damp when it has rained.

The hall floor is higher than ground level on at the back and the front of the house

I'm afraid I don't know much about damp proof courses and how to tell if we have one.

There is no feeling of damp on any of the walls or skirting boards.

Any suggestions of how we could identify the source of this problem and remedy it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back