Mystery Damp Patch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Been pulling my hair out trying to get to the bottom of this problem. We have recently bought an early 1900s end of terrace and we have a mystery damp patch that will not go away on our living room carpet.

Our living room is joined by a doorway to a very small hall. On the living room side of the door, exactly in the middle of it there is a mystery damp patch that will not go away. The patch will get wetter over time but doesn't spread.

I lifted up the carpet, expecting to find a leak, but the concrete floor underneath is bone dry. The carpet is made of three layers, with two layers of foam underneath the carpet itself. The first, thicker, layer of foam is dry but the next layer of foam and carpet is damp.

Directly opposite the damp patch, in the hall, is a recently installed air vent. It leads out to the largest external wall that we have. The wall in general has had some issues with damp, as it gets really cold. We had blocked this vent up as it produces a really strong draft directly into the living room. I thought that a lack of ventilation was the cause of the damp patch, so I unblocked the vent without any impact on the patch. I've also tried running a mini dehumidifier right next to the patch, and while it drew quite a lot of water, it also hasn't helped.

I'm a first time buyer and very far from an expert on these kinds of things, was just hoping someone had some advice for me as I'm at my wit's end.

Sponsored Links
If you post pics maybe we could help - certainly with the damp conditions but would have to wait and see with the damp carpet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back