Cupping of wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have had a solid wood floor down for about 2 months. In the last 10 days the boards have become cupped all over. It was laid over a new concrete subfloor. The fitter says it is due to moisture levels in the room and advised us to get a dehumidifier and there is nothing they can do about it. Does this sound plausible? Is it worth getting the moisture level in the subfloor checked?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Cupping of timber boards is partly a function of how they are cut from the log, and how they are seasoned. Tangentially-cut timber is more prone than radially-cut.
Probably just cheaper timber.
At three months, your floor would probably have dried out sufficiently

Sponsored Links
Whilst wooden floors are not my expertise.....

...if your floor was "bought and fitted" from a supplier, in other words you walked into a shop picked a floor and they supplied and fitted it for you, then I suggest you complain (your within 12months!). The fitter or the shop should have checked the moisture levels before he started. IMHO a dehumidifier isn't going to sort out "cupping" - it will now always be like that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back